My top 40 songs of 2004

Jan 30, 2005 (Updated Feb 3, 2005)

Popular Products in Music
Testify  Reviews
From $9
The Bottom Line sorry that it is late but i had trouble getting it on the site.

This is my first attempt at a big top list of songs for the year.

I am picking the songs that have been on the radio or in the top 40 charts since the start of the year. That is the reason that there may be songs that were released last year.

I had trouble finding lengthy bits to put on each song in the list.

#40
Artist: Band Aid 20
Song: Do They Know its Christmas
When Bob Geldolf released this song in the 80’s it was a big hit. This version of it wasn’t as good as the original but it was still a big hit. This version had Bono from U2, Jamelia, Daniel and Natasha Bedingfield, Paul McCartney, Robbie Williams and a lot of other British singers.

#39
Artist: Avril Lavigne
Song: My Happy Ending
This is From Avril's Recent Album "Under My Skin". I like this song because of the lyrics and the beat. Avril has matured a bit since "Complicated" and her songs have matured along with her.

#38
Artist: Scribe (NZ)
Song: Dreaming
Another New Zealand singer has made it onto my countdown. Scribe has released a couple of songs this year, "Stop the Music" (Which also made it onto my countdown) and this song. This song has a great beat and good lyrics. The song is mainly about his life and his dreams of becoming a big star which i say he has accomplished.

“I came a long way since back in the day
From a teenager trying to make a rap in this way”

#37
Artist: Britney Spears
Song: Toxic
This song was Britney’s second song off her latest album In The Zone. This song has a good beat and the lyrics are good. Britney has matured alot since Hit me baby, One More Time. I used to always have Britney No 1 in my list that i made for myself. The Video also features New Zealander Martin Henderson as well.

#36
Artist: Fantasia Barrino
Song: I Believe
Fantasia is the third American Idol to be crowned. I like this song mainly for the lyrics. This song says that if you keep trying to reach your goals and to Accept any help that can guide you on the way to your goals.

#35
Artist: Hillary Duff
Song: Fly
This song is off Hillary’s self-titled Album. This song also reminds me of Avril Lavinges first song Complicated. I like this song because it has a great beat and the lyrics are great.

#34
Artist: Good Charlotte
Song: I Just Wanna Live
This song is off Good Charlottes Album The Chronicles of Life and Death. I like this song because it has a great beat and the lyrics are great. Good Charlotte have hardly changed their style of music.

#33
Artist: Outkast
Song: The Way You Move
2004 has been Outkasts year, they have released 4 songs off there album released in october 2003. This is one of my favourite songs. I like this song because it has a great beat and the lyrics are great. This song is from the Speakerboxx side of the album.

#32
Artist: Franz Ferdinand
Song: The Dark Of The Matinee
Franz Ferdinand has released 2 songs this year, Take me Out was a complete disaster, but they salvaged themselves with the Dark of the Matinee. I like this song because it has a great beat and they lyrics are excellent. This song pretty much sums up every guys fantasy of making love in cinemas.

#31
Artist: Counting Crows
Song: Accidentally in Love
This song is from one of my top 20 movies of the year (list is going up on epinions as soon as i get it finalized) Shrek 2. I like this song because of the beat and the lyrics. This song sums up the times when you fall for a girl when you just didn’t mean to.

#30
Artist: Usher
Song: Burn
Usher has been a big star this year he has released 3 songs in 2004, they are Yeah!, Confessions Part 2 and this song. This song is from his album Confessions. I like this song because it has a good beat and the lyrics are cool as well. I also like the video for this song with all of his ex-girlfriends stuff that she brought him going on fire.

#29
Artist: D12
Song: How Come?
This is D12’s 3rd single from their album D12world. This song has a great tune and great lyrics. Eminem does much better as a solo artist though. This is probably one of Eminem and D12’s most serious songs yet. it relates to the problems of relationships.
“How come we don’t even talk no more
And you don’t even call no more
We don’t barely keep in touch at all
And I don’t even feel the same love when we hug no more”

#28
Artist: Robbie Williams
Song: Radio
This song is from Robbie’s Greatest Hits album. This song was the first new song he released from that album. This song is a extremely catchy song, I like the fact that he put on a robotic voice for the song as well, it really suits Robbie’s voice. The beat and the lyrics were both good as well.

#27
Artist: Green Day
Song: American Idiot
This song is from the album of the same name. Green Day have said in lots of interviews that this song is not about George Bush but i tend to think that it is. This song has a great beat and the lyrics are great as well.

#26
Artist: D12
Song: My Band
This is D12’s first single from the album D12 World. This is another very catchy song with a great tune and very awesome lyrics which relate to the problems of having a band sometimes.
“These chicks don't even know the name of my band...
But they're all on me like they wanna hold hands...
Cuz once I blow they know that i'll be the man...
All because I'm the lead singer of my band...”

#25
Artist: ojo and Lil Bow Wow
Song: y It's You
This is Jojo’s 2nd single she released from her album. This song features Bow Wow (which used to be Lil Bow Wow). This is a very catchy song with a great tune and great lyrics.

#24
Artist: destiny’s Child
Song: lose my breath
Destiny's Child are back with a new album. This is the first single from their new Album Destiny Fulfilled. I really like this song because it has a good beat and the lyrics are great as well. D Child (as they are sometimes called) have returned with fire.

#23
Artist: dei hamo (NZ)
Song: We Gon Ride
This is Dei Hamo’s first single that he released this year. I really like this song because of the beat and the lyrics are cool as well. Dei Hamo’s Debut album is going to be out later this year.

#22
Artist: Robbie Williams
Song: Misunderstood
This is Robbie Williams latest song that he released. I like this song because it has a good beat and the lyrics are great.

#21
Artist: Shaznay Lewis
Song: Never Felt Like This Before
Shaznay Lewis used in a band called the All Saints, she has now branched out on a solo career. I like this song because of the Lyrics and the beat as well.
The song is basically about when you first fall in love.
I've never felt like this before
Can't say that you don't make me hot
I'm wanting some of what you got, babe
I've never felt like this before

#20
Artist: Christina Agularia and Missy Elliot
Song: Car Wash
This song is from the DreamWorks movie Shark Tale. This song is an awesome song. I like this song for the tune and the lyrics.

#19
Artist: Britney Spears
Song: My Prerogative
I like this song because it has great lyrics. I don’t like the tune as much and Britney’s Robotic Voice. But overall i like the song. I think this song relates to the gossip spread about her. “everybody’s talking all this stuff about me”

#18
Artist: Jojo
Song: Leave (Get out)
This song is from her self-titled album. Jojo is only 16, she also appeared on Bill Crosby’s Kids say the Darndest Things. This is her first single off her album. This song has a catchy tune and great lyrics. This song also reminds me of Avril Lavinges First Song Complicated.

#17
Artist: Delta Goodrem
Song: Out of the Blue
Delta was in hospital most of 2004 battling cancer. She has now pulled through and she has now released a 2nd album called Mistaken Identity. This is yet another ballad song. This song has great lyrics and a catchy tune. This lyrics seem to be about her battle with cancer.
“No emotions my whole body felt like ice
Needed to feel that the sun would shine my way
My world had turned to dust but I had my faith and trust
Just thought I'd be walking the world alone”

#16
Artist: Missy Higgins
Song: Scar
Missy Higgins is an Australian Singer. This is another Ballard song. This song has a catchy tune and great lyrics. The Song relates to life in general “Doesn't that make you shiver; the way things could've gone?”

#15
Artist: Fast Crew (NZ)
Song: I Got
Another excellent New Zealand band that only just came out last year. They have already released two songs out last year. It's the Incredible and I Got. I Got is a excellent song. I like mainly for the beat and the lyrics.

#14
Artist: Evanescence
Song: My Immortal
I never usually enjoy rock songs, but some bands fall into the category of exceptions. Evanescence is one of them. This song is from their album Fallen. This song has a great tune and the lyrics are excellent as well. I can relate to the lyrics as well “I’m so tired of being here suppressed by all of my childhood fears”

#13
Artist: Dashboard Confessional
Song: Vindicated
This song is from the Spider-man 2 movie soundtrack. Dashboard Confessional have been around for a while but i had only heard of them this year. I really loved the spider-man 2 and i really love this song. It is catchy and the lyrics are good as well. The lyrics also relate to me a bit as well “I am Selfish, I am Wrong”

#12
Artist: The Killers
Song: Somebody Told Me
This Band is only new to the music scene. This song is very good, it has a great beat, and great lyrics. I also know some people that the song could relate to as well. “somebody told me you had a boyfriend who looked like a girlfriend”.

#11
Artist: Avril Lavigne
Song: Don't Tell Me
This song is from her album Under My Skin. This song is very catchy and the lyrics are very goo as well. I can also relate to some of the lyrics as well "Don't try to tell me what to do, Don't try to tell me what to say,"

#10
Artist: Pete Murray
Song: So Beautiful
This song is a nice ballad type song. This is from his album Feeler. This song is a very catchy song and the lyrics are nice as well.

#9
Artist: Gwen Stefani
Song: Rich Girl
This song can be summed up in 8 words "Remake of a Fiddler on the Roof Song". But i am going to expand on that though. This song was a version of If I was a Rich Man from Fiddler on the Roof. The tune is catchy and the lyrics were flawless.

#8
Artist: Ben Lummis (NZ)
Song: They Can't Take That Away
This Year, New Zealand jumped on the idol Bandwagon. Ben Lummis was our first NZ idol. This song is the first single from his album One Road. Ben also released a second single this year, it was called I love You, Love Me. But that song never was a big success. This song was the official No 1 song of 2004 on Top of the Pops New Years Eve Special.

#7
Artist: Michael Murphy (NZ)
Song: So Damn Beautiful
Michael Murphy is the Runner Up in NZ Idol. His first single is catchy and it has a great beat and great lyrics. It the strong first single that Ben desperately needed to make his career last. This song is on his debut album No Place to Land.

#6
Artist: Seether (Featuring Amy Lee)
Song: Broken
This song originally didn’t have Amy Lee’s vocals on it, but this year they re-released it and made it better than the original. This song has a good beat and the lyrics are excellent as well.

#5
Artist: The Rasmus
Song: In The Shadows
This Song is the first single from the album Dead Letters. This song has a catchy beat and some awesome lyrics as well. The Video Clip was so awesome it reminded me a bit like Alice in wonderland with the person walking through the mirror.

#4
Artist: Brooke Fraser (NZ)
Song: Arithmetic
Brooke Fraser is one of New Zealand's best female artists this year. I like this song because it has a good beat to it and the lyrics are cool as well. This year Brooke Fraser released a few good songs as well as this one.

#3
Artist: Gwen Stefani
Song: What You Waiting For
Gwen Stefani was from the band No Doubt, now she has branched out on a solo career. This song is extremely catchy and it has a good beat in the background as well. This Year Gwen is also going to be in The Aviator.

#2
Artist: Michael Murphy (NZ)
Song: Music Without A Song
This is Michaels second single from his first album called No Place to Land. Michael was the runner up in NZ Idol. I really like this song, It is really catchy and I thought that it was a lot better that his first single which also made it onto my countdown. Michael has been getting a lot more attention than Ben Lummis who has seemed to have disappeared from the music scene.

#1
Artist: Eminem
Song: Just Lose it
This is Eminem’s first single off his new album Encore. This is one of those songs that you don’t like at first, but it grows on you. I liked the video clip for Just Lose It. Eminem has got into a lot of strife over the video clip with Michael Jackson suing him. I thought the video clip for Just lose was quite good though. He also took a shot at Pee-wee Herman and 8-mile.

Member: Malcolm Lay