2004 in Retrospect: dbcint's W/O

Feb 3, 2005

The Bottom Line I recommend you read this. Why? I don't know. On second thought, maybe you shouldn't waste your time.

This is my entry into dbcint's 2004 in Retrospect write off. Enjoy!

#1: Name one person you met who you met throughout the year that has made a lasting impression on you. Tell us about them.

I'd have to say this guy named Bruce down at the Bossier City post office. Probably the nicest and friendliest guy I've ever met. He's always smiling and calls everyone "my friend". It's people like him that can turn a bad day around.

#2: Was there a TV show you saw for the first time in 2004 – perhaps 2004 was it’s first season – that you now absolutely love?

"Lost" is a pretty awesome show. I didn't really expect it to last, but it has me hooked. The writing on it is excellent and I can never guess what's going to happen next. It's actually the only show I really watch on a weekly basis.

#3: Tell us about the best movie you saw last year. It doesn’t have to be one that was released last year, just as long as you saw it for the first time in 2004. If possible, include a link to your review of it.

"Napoleon Dynamite" was certainly the most entertaining movie I saw this year. I have a very dry sense of humor, so I thought it was hilarious. Everytime I watch it, I find something that I missed the previous time because I was too busy laughing.

#4: How about the worst movie you saw last year? Is there one that sticks out a mile – perhaps you wrote a scathing review on it.

Sorry, but "Mean Girls" was a heaping pile of crap. I don't understand why so many people liked it. The writing in it was terrible; one minute they're trying to force you to laugh at unfunny jokes, the next they're lecturing you on calling girls b*tches. I thought I was watching a Dr. Phil episode.

#5: Was there an event that you wish people would just shut up about already?

I'm a huge sports fan, so I'm sick of hearing about the Pistons/Pacers brawl. Sure, it was a big deal, but I don't need to see it a million times. It doesn't seem as though it has made that much of an impact on how people view sports or athletes like everyone said it would. I found Randy Moss's "What's $10,000 to me?. That ain't sh*t" comment far more offensive than the brawl. But I'm sick of that event as well.

#6: Was there a worldwide event that left you wondering what the world is coming to?

The Red Sox winning the World Series. Hope Satan has a jacket and some hot chocolate.

#7: Similarly, was there a worldwide event that made you happy?

As evil as this may sound... seeing Bill O'Reilly and Michael Jackson in legal trouble brought a smile to my face. O'Reilly is a hypocritical a-hole who finally got his (although it looks like nothing will happen from it). Between Inside Edition and The O'Reilly Factor, he's been dragging people's names through the mud for years (especially Ludacris), and now he's finally getting what he deserves. Also, how anyone can proclaim that Michael Jackson is innocent and should be set free blows my mind. Just because he sang some catchy songs in the 80's means he can't be a child molester? Seriously... people who think this guy doesn't have a problem are only kidding themselves.

#8: What were the best and worst albums you heard last year?

The best album I heard last year was Modest Mouse's "Good News For People Who Love Bad News", although I thought 2004 was a very weak year for quality albums. The worst album I heard this year was probably Keane's "Hopes and Fears". I love "Somewhere Only We Know" (it was my #6 favorite single of the year), but this album was nearly impossible to sit through. So many bland melodies, sappy lyrics, and overblown choruses made this the worst album I heard this year.

#9: Which musician / band disappointed you?

The new Ben Kweller and Old 97s albums were a little disappointing, but there were a few good songs on each of their albums. The most disappointing is probably Eminem. It's astonishing how quickly he's gone from being great to being terrible. I think we can safely lay the Eminem/2Pac comparisons to rest. I don't believe we ever would've heard 2Pac telling fart jokes or rapping about "pajama time".

#10: Are there any writers who were newbies in 2004 that you highly recommend we read?

Hellhound is one of my favorite writers on here. He writes well and has good taste in music. I know this might sound crazy, but I suggest reading the reviews of raptorsattack. Some of the most ignorant stuff I've ever read and not the least bit helpful, but some of it has had me in tears laughing. Either you'll think it's hilarious or you'll be offended and report him, one of the two.

#11: What was the most significant event of the year? It could be local, international, or simply personal.

Though it wasn't exactly 2004, I did get engaged in late 2003. I spent most of 2004 helping plan the wedding. It should be great.

#12: Do you think your life is on the right track for where you want to end up? How did 2004 affect this?

Definitely. In 2004, I finished my BS in accounting, started on my MBA, and worked a full year at a CPA firm. I'm also getting married in May. At only 21, I'm not sure exactly what I want to do with my life yet, but everything I've done so far seems to be pointing me in the right direction.

#13: Was there anything else significant about 2004 you'd like to add?

Not necessarily. I would like to talk for a moment about 2005 though. Musically, 2005 could end up being the best year (at least for me anyway) since 1995. I mean, look at all the new albums coming out... The Strokes, Billy Corgan, Dave Matthews Band, Jack Johnson, three (!) from Ryan Adams, two from Outkast, Ben Folds... and already Bright Eyes has released what could end up being the best album of the year. This may not sound too exciting to some people, but I'm pumped up about 2005.

Member: Billy
Location: Louisiana
About Me: Back after a two year layoff!