Flanigan's

Flanigan's

ratings (2 Epinions reviews)

Flanigan's - A true South Florida treat!

Apr 13, 2008 (Updated Jun 11, 2011)

Pros:Delicious food, huge portions, reasonable prices, excellent service.

Cons:None that come to mind.

The Bottom Line: This is a terrific restaurant that offers a variety of delicious foods, for very reasonable prices.

From Palm Beach to Miami, the East Coast of Florida is home to Flanigan's - 22 locations of great food, great atmosphere, and best of all, giant green cups!

Having passed its 50th anniversary, this chain must be doing something right, right?  Well I say it's doing a lot of things right!

What is it?

It's your basic sports-bar & grill.

There's a huge bar that's hopping, crowded, and loud - especially on Friday nights.  There are loads of TV sets playing all of the sports channels.

Then there's the dining room, which thankfully is quite a bit quieter than the bar area.  And, in some locations, there's outdoor seating.  The location in Weston is right on a lake, and the outdoor seats are my favorite.

What kind of food?

All of the stuff you'd expect from a sports-bar (appetizers, sandwiches, salads, steaks, ribs).  Plus a whole lot more.  Because Flanigan's specializes in all kinds of fresh fish and seafood.  So seafood-lovers like myself can dine on chowder, shrimp, salmon, crab legs, and clams.  While the meat-lovers can enjoy - well - all the beef, chicken, and pork dishes.  If you're dieting, it's one of my favorite places for giant salads - several different varieties, topped with your choice of chicken, shrimp, crabmeat, or fresh tuna.

Portions?

Ridiculously big.  The burgers, for instance, are all 10 oz.  My husband and I have shared the loaded nachos appetizer for our entire lunch, and it was more than enough.  The salads are the kind where you keep eating and eating, but the bowl still looks full.

OK - but is the food good?

In a word, YES!  I don't know anyone who is ever disappointed with their meal at Flanigan's.  The burgers are delicious.  The salads are always fresh.  The ribs are fall-off-the-bone tender.  The fish and seafood entrees are always fresh and delicious.  One of their fish entrees that I frequently order is Dolphin Francaise.  Calm down.  It's not really a dolphin.  That's just what they call ‘mahi mahi' down here.  In this case, they lightly batter the fish, and sauté it with lemon juice, white wine, butter, and diced onions.  I always order it with rice and broccoli.  It is out of this world!

Prices?

About average for a sports-bar down here in South Florida.  Appetizers are under $10.  Burgers are between $8 and $9.  Entrees are $11 to $20.  They have daily lunch specials in the $5 range, and well as daily "buy a pitcher of beer or soda, receive an appetizer free" promotions.  They also have a frequent-lunch card - 10 stamps gets you a free lunch!

Atmosphere?
"Nautical".  The walls are covered in sea-themed items.  From mounted fish to displays of fishing gear, and 50 years worth of photos from the Flanigan family's fishing expeditions.

Service?

Always top-notch.

Wait time to get in?

I can only speak about one location - the one in Weston.  Let's just say, if I'm going there on a Friday or Saturday night, I try to go early.  Or I bring a book to read while I wait.  45 minutes is not unheard of.  On the other hand, this is no different from nearly every other restaurant in this area.

What was that about ‘giant green cups' ?

Down here, you'll find Flanigan's giant green cups in many of our homes and offices.  Why?  When you buy a soft drink at Flanigan's, you can choose the normal-sized glass, or the over-sized giant green plastic cup.  Of course, they charge a bit more for the giant cup, but it's made of sturdy plastic, comes with a lid, and can be taken home.  The next time you come to Flanigan's bring your big cup with you, and get a discounted refill.

As you can tell, I really enjoy eating at Flanigan's.  Why not give it a try, the next time you're on the East coast of Florida, between Palm Beach and Miami!

Ads by Google