Task Force 16" Cut Reel Mower 26133

Task Force 16" Cut Reel Mower 26133

ratings (9 Epinions reviews)

Task Force 16" Reel Mower -- Reel Cheap!

Apr 20, 2008
  • User Rating: Disappointing

Pros:Cheap... you get what you pay for though.

Cons:A cheap, poorly designed mower that will "wear out" in VERY short order!

The Bottom Line: Do not WASTE your time or money.

We purchased a Task Force 16" Reel Mower from Lowes for under $100. We really have only about 300 sq feet of grass (between the sidewalk and street) to mow, so it seemed like a good solution for us.

In reality, even with our "tiny" lawn, we got about 3 good mows out of it before the cheap plastic "gears" wore out. These "gears" interlock the wheels and the blade axle. Since the wheels are about 10" in diameter, and the axle less than 1/2" in diameter, one would think that a rather rugged piece would be placed in between -- after all, a LOT of force is going to have to be transferred from such a large diameter to such a small one.

Unfortunately, no such thought went into this product. Upon examination, it is clear that Task Force did virtually NO product testing, or they would have quickly found out that gear material is too soft.

We tried several ways of "locking" the plastic gears into place, so that they would again drive the blade, but no solution we could come up with would last more than a few passes.

We tried to return the mower to Lowes, but they said it was not a faulty product, but a faulty design -- so we were referred to Task Force for a solution.

We'll see -- but I'm not expecting much -- except I won't be buying another ANYTHING from this company again, and I've lost a LOT of my respect for Lowes in the process. Home Depot is literally across the street. Guess where I'll shop for a replacement!

Amount Paid (US$): $89