Top 10 soundtracks from the year 2000

May 24, 2005

The Bottom Line Soundtracks are what carry our favorite movies, and here are the 10 albums that stood out in 2000.

The year 2000 was interesting for soundtracks, but not overwhelmingly great. There were a few songs that really stood out, including Faith Hill's "Where are You Christmas", and Janet Jackson's "Doesn't Really Matter", but on the whole the year was a slight disappointment to lovers of soundtracks. The big bonus that soundtracks provide, are a compilation of artists, that span a genre, and don't require you to like just one singer in order to enjoy the album. What I have here, is what I feel to be the 10 best soundtrack albums that came out in the year 2000.

10. Requiem For A Dream

To say the least, the music from this film can be considered beautiful and pulse-pounding at the same times. Its intent is to get the blood flowing, and to understand what is going on inside the human body while the main characters are constantly taking drugs. The music is used to accentuate all of the dramatic moments of the film, and it really does a great job at doing just that. So good in fact, that tracks from the movie were used for the Lord of The Rings movie trailers in order to get people pumped up, and excited about the second film coming out. This is an easy to listen to album, with a lot of up-tempo beats that make it interesting enough to be listened to over and over.

1. Summer: Summer Overture
8. Summer: Tense
9. Summer: Dr. Pill
10. Summer: High on Life
11. Summer: Ghosts
12. Summer: Crimin' and Dealin'
13. Summer: Hope Overture
18. Fall: Dreams
19. Fall: Arnold
20. Fall: Marion Barfs

9. How the Grinch Stole Christmas

With Faith Hill's "Where Are You Christmas", this soundtrack outsold just about everything on my list. The reason being that the song spanned the country and the pop genre at the same time. Faith really delivered the goods with the theme song to this film, and it is destined to be a holiday classic for many years to come. In addition to her song, Busta Rhymes steps in with a duet rap co-starring Jim Carry, along with Smash Mouth and Barenaked Ladies who also give original tracks to the album. One that stands out in my mind is "Lonely Christmas Eve", by The Ben Fold Five, which is an interesting addition to this compilation CD. This definitely a fun CD, and one that people of all ages can enjoy, but don't expect one specific kind of music as it is kind of jumbled with rap, country, and rock all at the same time.

1. Movie Dialogue: Kids Today - Jim Carrey
16. Memories of a Green Childhood
17. Christmas, Why Can't I Find You? - Taylor Momsen
18. Stealing Christmas
19. Big Heist
20. Does Cindy Lou Really Ruin Christmas?

8. Me, Myself, and Irene

An eclectic mix of Alternative and Ska bands, the Me, Myself, and Irene Soundtrack is one that can energize anyone. It is intended to be fun, and the songs that are provided on it just about all pop up in the movie itself. Listening to them, you can almost picture something crazy that Jim Carrey was doing in the movie at that time. Included in the mix are The Ben Fold Five, Hooty and the Blowfish, The Offspring, Foo Fighters, Smash Mouth, and Third Eye Blind. Needless to say, there entries on the CD are not their top songs, but at the same time just having them on the album makes it worth listening to. They are all very talented, and it is a sure bet that if you are a fan of one of them, you probably like more than one, and thus this album would be enjoyable to you.

1. Breakout - Foo Fighters
13. Barrytown - Ben Folds Five
14. Razor Boy - Billy Goodrum
15. Where He Can Hide - Tom Wolfe

7. Remember The Titans

As with any movie that involves Sports, there must be songs and lyrics that help speed up the tempo, and convey the emotions that people are supposed to be feeling during any particular scene. Remember The Titans is no exception, as Disney put together a compilation of older songs (but still great ones), that keep the audience in the scenes, and at the same time we can sing along to the screen. The songs are chosen from the time period with which the movie is shot, and that is one of the reasons that they work so well with the film. Actually though, this CD is good enough, that it didn't really have to have a film go with it, instead it could have been released as a classic rock CD, and probably would have done just as well in sales. Led by "Up Around the Bend" by Creedence Clearwater Revival, and Norman Greenbaum's Spirit in The Sky, this is a great album for anyone that is a fan of music and classic rock alike.

1. Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
8. Spill the Wine - Eric Burdon & WAR
9. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall - Leon Russell
10. Act Naturally - Buck Owens
11. Express Yourself - Charles Wright & The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band
12. Titans Spirit (Score)

6. Charlie's Angels

When you have a song like "Independent Women", the title alone will grab people's attention. Throw in Destiny's Child as the performers of the song, and you have yourself a sure hit. Singing the theme, and presenting many clips in their video, I think that this song surely brought more viewers into the theaters. With a great message, and some really dancable beats, this song became one of the top songs of 2000, and ended up being put on their own album as well, after the success had grown so much. Sir Mix-A-Lot, Marvin Gaye, and Aerosmith also lend tracks to the films soundtrack. It was pretty good, but was missing a song in my opinion. In on particular action sequence, a Prodigy song is played in the background, and it would have been nice to include it on the soundtrack, simply because you could relate it back to a specific scene in the movie. That withstanding, the CD was still a good one.

1. Independent Women, Pt. 1 - Destiny's Child
13. Groove Is In The Heart - Deee-Lite
14. Charlie's Angels 2000 - Apollo Four Forty
15. Tangerine Speedo - Caviar

5. Family Man

With a movie like Family Man, you have to have music that is both mellow, and emotional at the same time. The intent is to evoke emotions, but not to be too far over the top in presenting the music. For the particular audience that this film was going for, the music on the soundtrack fit it perfectly. Seal's hit "This Could be Heaven" is the highlight of the CD, but tracks by Elvis Costello, U2, and The Talking Heads are also plusses here. My secret favorite song on the CD though, is Chris Isaak's "Wicked Games". Though an older song, I still like hearing it, and it truly is one of those songs that withstands the test of time, and can be heard over and over without fans getting tired of it. Seal and Isaak made this soundtrack very nice and, and it shouldn't come as a surprise, because Seal is ALWAYS making soundtracks turn out great (Batman Forever, Space Jam).

1. This Could Be Heaven - Seal
12. La Donna e Mobile (from Rigoletto) - London Symphony
13. The Family Man Main Title - Danny Elfman
14. Promise - Danny Elfman

4. What Women Want

For the music fan in all of us, this film provided us with many classic tones that have been around for years. Sammy Davis Jr., Frank Sinatra, and Tony Bennett provide us with the "cool" side of the soundtrack, as we are shown exactly what Mel Gibson's character feels like as he is able to give women what they want in the film. Smooth songs like this are always great to listen to, and there is often nothing bad that you can find with songs like that. They set the tone, they set the mood, and they are so easy to listen to that you can just fall asleep to those voices. In addition to the crooners, we have Meredith Brooks with her hit song, Bobby Darin giving us his mack, and Christina Aguilera singing her hit song "What a Girl Wants." Everyone knew that song would be on here, and it is nicely placed in the movie, and on the soundtrack. With a CD chock full of great tracks, this was an easy to choice to make my top 10 list of 2000.

1. Something's Gotta Give - Sammy Davis, Jr.
2. Too Marvelous for Words - Frank Sinatra
11. Nobody But Me - Lou Rawls
12. Night and Day - The Temptations
13. I've Got the World on a String - Peggy Lee
14. Everything About You - Alan Silvestri

3. O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Though the movie didn't end up being all that successful in the theaters, the soundtrack ended up doing so well, that it spawned a second one, and then a score from the movie on top of that. This is really a niche soundtrack though, and it does not apply to everyone that like music. Stacked with bluegrass songs, many of which were written for the movie, we have a compilation of down-south songs that you can tap your feet and slap your knee to. Led by "Man of Constant Sorrow" by The Soggy Bottom Boys, the soundtrack does a great job at showing the type of music that was prevalent for the characters in the film. Alison Krauss also has two tracks on the CD, and it became so successful, because it is so much fun to listen to. The music is very well written, and the songs are well placed in the movie, so when you listen to the soundtrack you know exactly where each song was. As I said though, this CD is not for everyone, but I still felt it was so well done that it deserved to make my list.

1. Po Lazarus - J. Carter & Prisoners
6. Hard Time Killing Floor Blues - Chris Thomas King
7. Man Of Constant Sorrow (Instrumental) - Norman Blake
8. Keep On The Sunny Side - The Whites
9. I'll Fly Away - Gillian Welch & Alison Krauss
10. Didn't Leave Nobody But The Baby - Gillian Welch, Alison Krauss & Emmylou Harris
11. In The Highways - The Peasall Sisters
12. I Am Weary - The Cox Family
13. I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow (Instrumental) - John Hartford
14. O Death - Ralph Stanley
15. In The Jailhouse Now - The Soggy Bottom Boys featuring Tim Blake Nelson
16. I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow (With band) - The Soggy Bottom Boys featuring Dan Tyminski
17. Indian War Whoop (Instrumental) - John Hartford
18. Lonesome Valley - The Fairfield Four
19. Angel Band - The Stanley Brothers

2. Nutty Professor II The Klumps

In one of the funnier movies from the Summer of 2000, we have the sequel to the Nutty Professor, which strives to one-up its first soundtrack. Though the first one was good, I think this one out did it, and that can be seen by the compilation of artists here, and the fact that 2 of the songs went to #1. "Doesn't Really Matter" by Janet Jackson, and "The Thong Song" by Sisqo were two that really stood out amongst everything else. They are songs with great beats, that are both easy to listen to, and easy to sing along with. Jay-Z, R.Kelly, Method Man, and DMX also all add tracks to the CD, and make it one of the better R&B/Hip-Hop/Rap Soundtracks that I have seen. I still have this one in my disk changer 5 years after it came out, simply because I like so many of the songs on the album. With songs like these, it can be a top soundtrack for years to come.

1. Doesn't Really Matter - Janet Jackson
14. Off The Wall - Redman/Eminem
15. Just A Touch - R. Kelly
16. Snippets - LL Cool J

1. Coyote Ugly

When it comes down to what the best soundtrack of 2000 is, I decided to go with one that blended a little bit of new-age flavor, with some old school songs, that ended up being a CD where ever single song is worth listening to more than once. LeAnn Rimes put 4 tracks on the CD, and is by far the most prevalent on the CD, but she is not where the talent ends on this disk. EMF put "Unbelievable", Snap put on "The Power", and INXS has "Need you Tonight" on the CD to put in those energy songs that helped make this movie flow so well. But, by far the best song on the album, is "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" by The Charlie Daniels Band. Now there is a song that you can hang your hat on. With all of these great songs, and all of the great singers, it was easy for me to choose the album that I felt was the most fun to listen to at my #1 Soundtrack for 2000.

1. Can't Fight The Moonlight - LeAnn Rimes
10. Boom Boom Boom - Rare Blend
11. Didn't We Love - Tamara Walker
12. We Can Get There - Mary Griffin

Member: Ryan
Location: Somewhere near the land of the lost