Bionaire Ultrasonic Humidifier BU5000-U

Bionaire Ultrasonic Humidifier BU5000-U

ratings (1 Epinions review)

A stylish, sleek humidifier: Bionaire Ultrasonic Humidifier BU5000

Jul 9, 2008 (Updated Jul 9, 2008)

• Effectiveness:

Pros:Nice looking, easy to use.

Cons:Small tank needs to refilled every day.

The Bottom Line: A stylish solution for those looking for a humidifier for a small room.

The one thing I don't like about Colorado is how dry the air is. Not only does it make my skin dry and itchy, and my hair feel like straw, but I also discovered it's not good for piano soundboards! In fact, I discovered mine was cracked last fall, and while talking to the local piano shop, I discovered that this is quite common due to the environment. One recommended remedy is getting a special piano humidifier system or, a much cheaper solution, just buying a simple room humidifier to keep near your piano. I purchased a Bionaire Ultrasonic Humidifier BU5000 for this reason and it's worked out quite well. It's also been beneficial for me!

Product Details

The Bionaire BU5000 is one of their "designer" humidifiers designed for small rooms that is both functional and stylish. I was attracted to this slightly asymmetrical humidifier as it somewhat has the appearance of a large vase and though it would look good in my piano room. I also liked the ease of use, as the tank looked like it would be easy to change and the humidifier requires no filters.

Product Details (from box):

- Runs up to 19 hours
- Auto Shut Off
- Virtually Silent Operation
- Produces visible mist
- L 10" x W 10" x H 14"

I purchased ours for around $40 at Walmart.

Our experiences

Filling the tank is quite easy. Simply lift up straight from the base and flip it over, unscrew cap and fill with cool water (hot or warm water can cause leaking). The opening is a little over an inch in diameter. It's easy to load back onto the base as it's not so heavy like other larger humidifiers as its capacity is only 1.2 gallons. The only issue I have experienced is that sometimes a little water drips out and splatters. But overall it's much easier than other humidifiers I have had experience with.

It has a low and high setting, but I always run it on low as I don't see too much difference between the mist produced on low and high setting. The mist comes out of a small elliptical-shaped slot at the top and is definitely visible. I've never timed the exact number of hours it runs, but I know from experience that I need to refill the tank every day if I run it from morning to night.

Other than dusting off, I don't have to do any major cleaning with this filterless humidifier. A weekly cleaning is recommended using vinegar in the base and using a soft brush to rid it of any scaling that can cause clogs. I've only done it once in the nine months I've owned our humidifier and that seemed sufficient as I had very little scaling. Your mileage may vary depending on the mineral content of your water. In addition, the manufacturer also recommends disinfecting the tank with a solution of bleach and water on a weekly basis, something I've yet to do!

Recommendation

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the results. My office is adjacent to the piano room and to me the air feels better here than the rest of the house. It is also pretty quiet, as it only produces a small humming sound without any gurgling water sounds. I was a bit confused by automatic shutoff feature as a couple times I've heard it running after the water has run out. Turns out that the transducer turns off but the fan continues to run as to dry out the unit.

I would definitely recommend this unit for small rooms. It's much more pleasing to the eye than more traditional humidifiers and is easy to care for and use.

Battery Life: N/A