Wireless Internet for Additional Desktops Made Easy

Jul 11, 2008

Pros:Easy to use, simple installation, low prices, USB practicality

Cons:A bit of a weak signal or disconnection depending on the environment.

The Bottom Line: I recommend this product for anyone who wants to easily add desktops to their wirless network.

The Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter is a wonderful product for anyone who wants to easily access a wireless network from a desktop computer. If you have an older desktop that still works and would like to use it for your network but don't want to crack open your pc's case, use this adapter.

The adapter comes with an installation cd that allows you to install the software quickly and easily. Within five minutes, I had the software installed on a six year old pc. I put the adapter into the stand and plugged the cord into a USB port and was already receiving a good signal. My computer has four 1.1 USB ports and no 2.0’s, but the adapter works quite well even with the 1.1.

From where my older desktop is situated, the signal ranges from low to very good, depending on interference. The majority of the time, the signal comes through as “good”. I can move the adapter to get a better signal and sometimes that works; sometimes it doesn’t. Occasionally, I will lose the signal completely, so I do have to make sure I am saving anything that needs to be saved. My laptop with an internal wireless card gets a very good signal consistently in my house, but I believe that’s a better card and obviously I can move the laptop around to get a good connection.

The normal upload speed with a good signal is about 11 MBPS. I have not seen it perform at its full “G” potential of 54 MBPS. The signal has a 400 feet range, but according the box, that was tested in an outdoor environment. In practical use, the range is more along the lines of 200-300 feet.

For the price of this unit (about $40), it might save you a lot of the time and headaches of installing a wireless card. Any computer with USB ports, even 1.1, should be able to use this without many problems.