Great at simmering but hot isn't so hot

Jul 14, 2008

Pros:Great simmer and good layout and looks

Cons:High settings not hot enough and metal on cooktop gets very hot

The Bottom Line: Can't recommend because just doesn't get hot enough

I bought this cooktop because, as part of a remodel, I was looking for a 36" gas cooktop with 5 or 6 burners.

I was trying to match the layout of my old cooktop where the controls were in a line across the front rather than bunched together in a corner or along the right edge.

I was also attracted to the advertisement and the salesman's pitch that this model has a great low simmer -- always a problem with my old cooktop.

Also, the BTU rating 2 burners 10K, 2 burners 12K, and one burner 18K seemed sufficient for my needs. I also like the continuous grates on this model as well as the overall look of the cooktop.

After several weeks of use, I have mixed feelings about this cooktop.

Out of the gate, I had GE service out for a minor repair (one of the screws holding on a metal sheet below the cooktop was missing and it had to be taken apart to put the screw in).

Once running, as advertised, the simmer works great. But, the high burners just aren't hot enough. Even on the big 18K BTU burner, it takes a long time to boil a pot of water. Once boiling, it is still only a mild boil, not a rolling boil.

Additionally, the unit itself gets quite hot. The dials, for example, can get extremely hot to the touch when cooking.

Finally, the covered heating element of the four smaller burners are all about 3 3/4" in diameter. This is just too big for a small 2 quart pot. The heat seems to go up the sides instead of concentrating the heat on the pot.