Yummy homemade ice cream

Jul 31, 2008

Pros:Homemade ice cream is sooo good . . . performs well

Cons:Noisy

The Bottom Line: Makes great ice cream. The motor stays in place as opposed to the Rival. Can't speak of it's durability as this is our 1st year.

We purchased the Hamilton Beach ice cream maker this summer and have already used it about four times. It has performed as expected.

We wanted to buy a four quart electric model and this fit our needs. Previously, we have owned one or two Rival four quart ice cream makers in the last nine years (I think one and my husband thinks we have had two). We originally purchased a Rival again to replace our last one (the motor was worn out), but we didn't like the current model. The motor top did not stay in place to properly churn the ice cream.

The motor top stays in place on the Hamilton Beach model without any problems. It twists into place.

Of course, this ice cream maker is noisy, just like our previous Rival(s). It's okay to talk over, especially if you are outside, but it's a little too noisy to have inside and have a conversation going on and easily hear.

Four quarts is a lot of ice cream. It's a good size for a group or large family. For just one or two people, you make want to consider a smaller size as homemade ice cream gets very hard after a couple of weeks.

The cord is sufficiently long enough. When we use it outside, we end up using an extension cord, but that is not a problem. Same situation with our previous Rival.