DampRid - Hanging Moisture Absorber

ratings (3 Epinions reviews)

Damp Rid Moisture Absorber

Aug 5, 2008

Pros:Prevents mold, mildew and musty odors

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: Great for musty, smell areas. Prevents mildew

We have a boat and it can get very musty in the cabin. Everything seems to stay damp even when its hot and sunny out for weeks. Damp rid keeps this problem under wraps. I also have a penchant for antiques which can come with some pretty musty, attic-y smells. Damp rid helps absorb the odors from these charming pieces. Thirdly I'm selling a home. I've hung two or three of these in the basement just to be on the safe side. I don't want people coming into the house, checking the basement and finding it musty. I hang these in the corners of the basement, somewhat out of sight. You can purchase DampRid in tubs to put on shelves or in trunks, in a box and in individual packets. I used to punch holes in the lid rather than risk the tub being knocked over and the contents spilling. I prefer the enclosed hanging version. The individual packets are great for smaller areas, lilke lockers or trunks.

The DampRid Hanging Moisture Absorber bags are divided into sections. The upper section contains white calcium chloride pellets and small yellow fragrance beads.When the bag is exposed to air, it absorbs excess moisture.The pellets dissolve into a salt solution, which drips into the lower section of the clear hanger bag. When all of the pellets have dissolved, you toss the DampRid bag into the garbage and replace it with a new package. It's very easy to use, and it's easy to figure out when it needs replacement.

It's designed to last about 60 days. The disposable Hanging version of DampRid absorbs up to one quart of excess moisture from the air. DampRid is also great for reducing allergens, eliminating odors and absorbing moisture in small, enclosed spaces.Dampness encourages mold spores which aggravate allergies. USe in:

Clothes Closets
Bathrooms
Laundry Rooms
Storage Closets
Basements
Garages
Boats/RVs/Classic Cars

Dimensions of each hanger bag: L 6” x D 1.33” x H 9.5”

According to the site the formula is non-toxic, septic safe and friendly to the environment. It’s safe for home, family and pets and is easy to dispose of after use. I have two dogs so the pet safety is an issue.

This is a very clever product. It's so useful. It's wonderful to find an inexpensive product that really does it's job and does it well.Since it's a fragrance free hanging moisture absorber you get no unusual residual odors.

You can get different versions of DampRid:
Sachet Moisture absorber
Super Moisture absorber
Deck wash concentrated formula
House wash

It protects clothing and fabrics from collecting excess moisture. You can actually see it work.

DampRid is great for storage lockers, gym lockers, garages, basements,RV's. My son has a gorgeous 1968 Lincoln Mark V but it has that old smell, Damp Rid is getting rid of that awful musty odor. Just a note. This car has diamond patterned leather seats and a burled walnut dashboard. It's advised you keep the DampRid away from leather due to the salt content. We're being careful with the placement of the DampRid in his car.

Remember when you hang DampRid that air has to flow around the bottom.

It comes in in lemon or fragrance free versions.

From the site: DampRid prevents mold growth by absorbing moisture. According to the site:white calcium chloride crystals absorb excess moisture in the air, bringing humidity to an ideal and safe level of about 50 percent humidity. Once the optimal level is reached DampRid slows down, and will restart when necessary.

So, if you have a musty area I highly recommend checking out this product. I give it a thumbs up.