The Top Ten Standard Hollywood Movie PlotsNov 22, 2005 Write an essay on this topic.
The Bottom Line Read these 10 Hackneyed Hollywood Plots and see how many Movies you can come up with that follow the formula!
I guarantee that you will recognize most, if not all, of these classic Hollywood films plots. Your job is to fill in as many movies as possible for each standard movie plot to help the hopeless reviewers memory.
Okay, I've seen a lot, and I mean A LOT of movies so I have taken the time to compile my list of the ten best movies I have ever seen. You will have to bear with me, I remember the PLOTS of these films, but sometimes I don't remember the exact titles, so these movies are listed by description. So without further ado, MY LIST OF THE TEN BEST MOVIES EVER... EVER!!!!
10. That Horror Movie with the Psycho Killer This one I saw when I was young, it had this psychotic killer who would hack up his victims with a knife, or maybe an axe, anyway it was a really sharp object. The first scene was really chilling, a teenage couple was about to have sex, when from out of nowhere, there was the killer! Hack, Slash, hack slash, both of them ended up all chopped up. Towards the middle of the film, another couple is alone in the house, and the killer is stalking them (plot spoiler ahead). A detective sees that something isn't right, and he goes into the house, and you think he's going to catch the killer, but then SLASH!, he gets killed! It was really scary and gory. I would warn you, a lot of teenagers get killed in this movie by the sharp object wielding killer, so it may not be suitable for children.
9. Buddy Cop Film I really enjoyed this one, part action, part comedy, and all enjoyable. Our hero is this one cop who is really crazy, he doesnt play by the rules at all! I mean, if there is a procedure for doing something, he does it his own way anyway! On a big murder case he gets assigned a partner who is all by the book. To make matters worse, the partner they teamed with the rogue cop with is supposed to retire in a week! I also enjoyed the portrayal of the police chief. He would bring the two into his office and really yell and scream at them for not doing things the right way. The movie had really excellent car chases, a lot of good gun battles and of course in the end, the two partners become friends and catch the murderer. If you like action and comedy, go see the buddy cop film. (I'm sorry I don't remember the name, it had Clint Eastwood, or Mel Gibson or someone like that)
8. The Action Movie If you want taut suspense and a lot, and I do mean a LOT of hard hitting action, this is the one to see. The star (sorry, can't think of his name, Arnold something or Steven Segal or Chuck Norris, but maybe it was Jet Li) used to be in the CIA, the Green Berets, the Yakuza, or the Mafia or the FBI, I can't remember. Anyway, he is one bad @ss but he is enjoying his life of retirement. His old bosses look him up for one LAST assignment. Well, he takes it, and I am glad he did, because from there, the bad guys don't stand a chance. The actor has three expressions!, mad, madder and maddest! No matter how many bad guys come at him, he really handles them with a combination of guns, fists and martial arts. Your subwoofer will be busy during this film too, because there were a lot of loud explosions! I especially enjoyed the final scene, because just when you think the hero and the bad guy are are going to shoot each other, they both throw down their guns and have a good old fashioned fist fight!
7. Chick Flick Romance Well, I had to put this here, my girlfriend makes me watch these sensitive romance movies, but I have to admit I really did like this one. The lead woman is an attractive middle aged woman, but she is single. She meets two men in her life. One is this really rich successful man, but I found him a bit arrogant, and I didn't think she was right for him. Of course all her friends say that she should date him because he is so successful. But this other man that likes her, well, he is kind of a loser, but he is really loveable, and you can tell he really loves her. All her friends tell her that the loveable loser is the wrong choice, even though the audience can clearly see that he is a really nice guy. The movie is mostly humorous hijinx as these two suitors woo her. The movie keeps you in suspense over whether she will find love with the rich guy or the loveable loser until the very end! I won't tell you whom she ends up with; you will just have to see it for yourself.
6. The Twist Oh, man, I did NOT see this one coming. This one was directed by M. Night Shalaman, David Lynch or someone else, but what a shocking ending! During the whole movie we meet this man and strange things happen to him that we don't quite understand. You think you kind of understand as the director leaves clues throughout the movie as to what is really going on, in fact, I had to see it twice to pick up on all the clues. This film was really moody, and it used a lot of dark scenes, dream scenes and muted colors which added to the tension. Much of the soundtrack was a sort of eery piano music which only heightened the tension. I also enjoyed the directors use of symbolism. Was the lead character dreaming? was he mentally ill? was it space aliens? Well, all I can tell you is this, all the strange things make sense once you see the ending! (which I won't give away!)
5. Stereotype Shakeup I enjoyed this comedy that explores what would happen if a really uptight white person was paired up with a really hip black person. In the beginning, the characters seem like exaggerated stereotypes of what white people and black people are supposed to be like, but by the end of the film, the two characters learn that they have much more in common than they have apart. However, before that occurs, hilarity ensues, because the black person has to attend a white function and try to fit in. A few scenes later, the situation is reversed to full comic effect when the white person finds himself in the middle of a black function. The characters seemed like fish out of water. Stereotypes are explored and make us laugh, but by the films end, we know that we should all just get along. (I think this one had Steve Martin or Martin Lawrence. I'm not sure. The white guy may have actually been Asian, I'm not 100% positive, but it was really funny)
4. Epic War Movie History fans should like this one, because it's a very serious and well done film of the war. The film starts with training scenes, and the instructor was one tough cookie. Nevertheless he manages to mold his troops into one of the best units of soldiers there is. They are sent to the front lines in the later part of the movie. One of the characters I really liked got killed in one of the first battles. It was very sad, because we had just seen the photograph of his fiancÚ and they had planned on getting married when he went back home. One of the soldiers that always seemed like a coward displays an amazing act of heroism that brought tears to my eyes, Combat brings out different qualities in people and this movie shows it. The instructor that seemed to be so mean in the beginning turns out to be a real motivator in helping the troops under his command work their way to victory. Although the film was very bloody, I thought that the director did an excellent job of portraying what it was really like to be in the war.
3.Teen Comedy I was really taken back to high school watching this film. The director must have gone to high school too, because all the cliques were there, the geeks, the brains, the jocks and the popular girl. The antagonist of the story is not one of the popular people but they want to fit in. By the final scenes at the homecoming game and the senior prom, you will be laughing and reminiscing at the same time. This one was directed by John Hughes or Amy Hecklering I think. Anyway I'm pretty sure the screenplay was by Tina Fey.
2. Outrageous Comedy Oh my! I laughed so hard at this film, I almost choked on my popcorn. Its rather randy and most of the jokes appeal to the lowest common denominator, but if you like jokes about sex, bodily functions and slapstick humor, this movie is for you. In this one scene, it was so funny, one of the characters mixes up a bodily fluid with something that you use or drink, and the whole audience was in hysterics. There were some flatulence jokes and some funny references to the supposed sexual preferences of one of the characters that really made me laugh.
1. The Underdog Well, as I said, I've seen a lot of movies so it was very hard to narrow it down to just one. However, my number one choice was just so original, so inspiring and so heartwarming, I had to give it my number one movie choice of all time. This wonderful film is all about a team of misfits. (it was a hockey team, or baseball or football or something, I forget which.) I mean, to look at the lot of them, you wonder how they even can play sports. Along comes a new coach, and the coach has demons of his own. He's been through a lot of problems, he has/had a drinking problem and at first you can't imagine that he would be the choice to lead this rag tag team of misfits up the street, let alone to victory. As it turns out, the coach develops a soft spot for the team, and actually feels rather sorry for them. In turn, the team looks up to him, and they actually learn a lot about the game and themselves and start to pull together as a team! What they lack in skills, they make up for in attitude and determination. Along the way, the coach learns a few things about himself too, and starts to pull himself up as he pulls the team up. There were moments that made me laugh, and others that made me want to cry. Wouldn't you know it, by the films end our team of lovable losers led by their downtrodden coach is actually pitted to play the reigning champions! Will I spoil the surprise and let you know if the coach can lead the underdogs to victory? No, you will just have to go and rent this movie for yourself.
Well, thats it, My TOP TEN OF ALL TIME. If anyone can remember the titles of any of these films, please put them in my comment box. (Ex: The Underdog = Bad News Bears, The Replacements, Hardball, Miracle, Hoosiers, Mystery Alaska and many more; get the idea? Thank you!
I originally had this under top ten movies of all times because I didn't know about writers corner. However a few people actually thought that I didn't know the Titles (believe me, I have the IMDB in my brain!) and it was suggested that I put it here, so I did!
|Write the first comment on this review!|