High quality images for very modest price, sfwr a problem.

Jan 17, 2009

Pros:Quickly scans color page when scan parameters lead to < 1 Mbyte file.

Cons:Could not get unit to work with supplied software or HP updates.

The Bottom Line: Very economical and quality flat bed scanner if you can work around the initially non-functional software issues.

I was able to by HP ScanJeg G4010 for under $100 including shipping from a well known mail order supplier.  HP LaseJet G4010 replace an Epson scanner whose software was constantly encountering conflicts with something on my WinXP-pro SR3 machine.

I purchased HP to help in my efforts to make my place of business a paperless office by giving me a quick way to scan items that can't be put though an automatic feeder.

After initial installation, I could not get the scanner to work with either the in-box CD or downloaded update from HP. After using control panel to delete the image editing software, the scanner worked just fine.  I was able to use Control Panel to designate the scan button on the scanner to initiate scan.  Thereafter, scanning became simply, (1) push button, (2) click "accept" about four times, and (3) click done.

It can take a minute or two for scanner to warm up after it has not been used for a few hours.  Once going, new scans start promptly.

Slightly larger that typical scan area (8.5" x 12").

Fast (< 10 seconds) to scan 8x11 color pages when scan parameters are set such that file size is no more than about 1 Mbyte.  HP Spec sheet indicates 60 second scan times, but I've only encountered those long scan times when scan parameters are set such that the output file size ends up being about 10 Mbyte. Output file size is dependent of size of image captured, resolution, and color depth.

Color rendition and resolution seems excellent.

Bottom line ... For a bargain price, the HP ScanJet G4010 eliminates the need to try to feed odd shaped docs through my Fujitsu S510 Auto  feed scanner.