Decent low frills dryer

Jan 19, 2009

Pros:Easy to use, lots of settings and very roomy inside.

Cons:Lacks a drying rack and lacks an internal light.

The Bottom Line: I would recommend this dryer to anyone needing a large capacity dryer, and didn't want to spend a lot of money on it.

After nursing along our aging ten year GE dryer, along with it's partnered ten year GE washer we decided to replace it when the washer finally gave out.

The dryer is easy to use and dries quite well. I wish the sensor dry would dry the clothes just a little bit more on the highest setting (I have a shirt with a collar that is very hard to dry, even my old dryer didn't do a very good job with it), but otherwise it does a fine job.

The inside of the door is glass so it won't get scrached up. The hinges are made of a sturdy, die cast metal plus the door can be hung from either side of the machine.

We've had it for almost a year now, but we did have to have it serviced after about six months because the dry sensor had stopped working properly. The dryer would show two minutes left and then jump to over 50 minutes for no apparent reason. We would open the dryer and the clothes would be pretty much dry. The timed dry settings still worked fine and we could still dry clothed.

Since it was still under warranty we called Amana, and they scheduled a technician to come out to take a look at it. He said that the computer board was bad and needed to be replaced. They ordered us a new board and had it sent to our house with instructions to call back when we got it.

When we got the new board we called and a different technician came out to install it. He put in the new board and we tried to dry some clothes with it, but we had the exact same problem.

He then saw that we use those anti-static, fabric softener sheets in our dryer. He said that the board was probably fine, but the dryer sheets tend to leave a build up on the metal strips inside the dyer that the sensor uses to read the moisture content.

He showed us how we could use a cotton ball and some rubbing alcohol to wipe off the strips. We did that and presto...the dryer worked just fine! Needless to say....it would be nice if Amana had put that in the owner's manual. Anyway....I don't use the alcohol I just give the strips a good rub down when I'm drying my blue jeans and I have't had a problem since.