Overrated: Just OK

Jan 26, 2009

Pros:Great fit in the ear, nice case, not super ugly.

Cons:No noise cancellation in high noise areas. Cannot differentiate between speaker and ambient noise.

The Bottom Line: Not recommended because it is not versatile enough to handle high noise situations for those of use who use our phones 24/7.

My Background (you can skip this if you want to get to the details): Before I go into details, I would like to state my background. I have been in the technology industry for over 15 years. I have worked for a tech giant who has always been on the cutting edge of innovation. I now have my own technology consulting company. Helping people find the right products for them is what I do for a living because I am passionate about it.I am not your average technology user. I am what is called a "power user". That means that I maximize almost every bit of smart power technology can provide. I use every application I can get my hands on, every phone feature, every wireless setting. This has given me a ton of experience in being able to identify what is good and bad about a product, and for whom.The Details: I have used the Plantronics Discovery 925 Bluetooth headset for about a week. It was so bad, I returned it as soon as I had time. I am a person who is connected to my phone 24/7 for work and for play. I want bluetooth for the convenience of being out in public, possibly carrying bags etc, and not having to hold a phone to my head. I would imagine that is the whole point! I have bluetooth built into my car, so I did NOT use this headset in the car. But usually I am in noisy areas: Coffee Shops, bookstores, grocery stores, the mall etc. And I was told by the people on the other end of the phone line that they could hear EVERYthing going on around me, and could barely hear me...that they could hear me better when I was just on my plain handset. I tried it at home, in the quiet, and it was fine. So if you are NOT a power user and your phone is not glued to you 24/7 and you want to use it at home, this might be a good option. But you must also consider the price. It is very expensive if you are not going to use it that much. I am very disappointed, though, because it fits perfectly into the ear and the buttons are easy to use. The case is also interesting as it provides a quick charge between uses, since the case itself can be charged using the same charger.