Avoid Summit at all costs

Mar 5, 2009

Pros:Cool design

Cons:Crappy customer serviceOur fridge broke quickly

The Bottom Line: The design is nice, the quality is not. Customer service is poor.

Bought the CP171SS at a regular appliance store about a year ago. Over the course of the last few months we noticed severe ice build-up in the fridge (not freezer) part. I called and was told I need to pay $90 for a service technician, since my warranty had run out (by two weeks). The technician that arrived spoke hardly any English, was rude and simply said we needed freon. Now for the fun part: in order to GET the freon, Summit must pick up the refrigerator and take it back to their facility. Which means, in our case, tons of spoiled food and probably a week or more without a fridge! This is where we are at now and I have yet to report what will become of this, but when I called customer service in Brooklyn today to ask if the excessive ice build up may have caused the freon to run out, I was told "I dunno. I'm not a repair guy". Neither the technician at our house not anyone else could communicate if we are experiencing a typical problem, what may be the cause, why we have the ice buildup or if this is a known issue.I'm getting the distinct feeling that Summit cares next to nothing about how they treat their customers. You call and speak to disinterested dimwits. That's what you get for buying their product. Not to mention: a year-old fridge and broken? Not exactly quality, in my opinion. We hope this will be resolved, but today my hopes are low.