Presto Electric Knife

Presto Electric Knife

ratings (1 Epinions review)

Presto Electric Knife Model 0382001

Mar 6, 2009 (Updated Mar 6, 2009)

Pros:Easy to operate
Slices well
Nicely balanced
Blades remove easily for cleaning

Cons:Gear stripped, knife is now dead
Cord is so stiff it still remembers original bends

The Bottom Line: This knife is easy to use, works well and lasted through quite a bit of heavy use. I definitely got my money's worth.

I bought the Presto Bread Slicing Guide Kit, which includes this knife.
It was on sale for under $30 which was a bargain for the slicing guide and the electric knife. I think the normal price was just under $60.00. I bake all of our bread in a bread machine and have sliced a loaf about once a week for the past 10 years. The knife works really great with the guide to make evenly sized slices.

The knife is well balanced and easy to use with one hand. The trigger is operated by the index finger and isn't too hard to hold down for long periods of time. It shuts down instantly if you need to stop cutting. It easily slices everything from soft to very firm materials. The blades are easy to remove and clean. They have stayed nice and sharp. Knife is powerful enough to slice just about any density of bread, even when it is cold.

Unfortunately, the other day, the knife stopped working and just whirs away without the blades moving. I took it apart and found a stripped nylon gear driven by a steel worm gear. A few calls to appliance repair stores determined that parts are not available from Presto, even though this knife would work fine if I could simply replace the gear. What a bummer our society is so throwaway instead of repair oriented. It is rewarding to fix things - as an example, my Norelco drip coffee maker is almost 30 years old and still going strong after 3 minor repairs.