My top 15 Movies of 2005

Mar 7, 2006

The Bottom Line This was a good year for remakes and sequels

2005 was a good year for movies Last Year. These are the Top 15 out of the 30 movies i saw last year. I live in New Zealand so some of these may of been released in 2004 in other countries.

1. Sin City
This is a remake of a Comic Book series done by Frank Miller. It was directed by Robert Rodriguez (Spy Kids series). Some of reasons I liked this movie was the fact it was split into 3 distinct stories unlike other movies that have different stories that have the stories intertwined with each other.
Bruce Willis(Die Hard) - Hartigan
Mickey Rourke (Spun)- Marv
Clive Owen (Derailed)- Dwight

2 War of the Worlds
This is a Remake of a Popular Radio series, Book and old movie written by H.G Wells. I quite Liked this movie for one reason it is a very faithful adaptation of my favourite book that i read as a kid.
Tom Cruise (Minority Report) - Ray Ferrier
Dakota Fanning (The Cat in the Hat) - Rachel Ferrier
Justin Chatwin (Taken TV series) - Robbie Ferrier

3 King Kong
Another Fantastic remake from Peter Jackson. I never saw the original movies to compare this version. I really liked this movie cause it had a lot of Action and the Plot really flowed.

Naomi Watts (The Ring) - Ann Darrow
Jack Black (School of Rock) - Carl Denham
Adrian Brody (The Village) - Jack Driscoll

4 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
This is the fourth book/movie in the Harry Potter. It was directed by Mike Newall (Mona Lisa Smile), the first british director they had. It was also the best of the four movie adaptations so far. Although they cut alot out they kept the major plot intact.
Daniel Radcliffe (upcoming movie December Boys)- Harry Potter
Emma Watson - Hermione Granger
Rupert Grint (Thunderpants) - Ron Weasley

5 The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
This is the 2nd book in the Narnia series although it was the first book published in the series. It was directed by Andrew Adamson (Shrek). I really enjoyed this movie mainly cause it was faithful to the books and it filled the void of no Lord of the Rings movie nicely
the Players
Georgie Henley - Lucy Pevensie
Skandar Keynes (Ferrari) - Edmund Pevensie
William Moseley (Goodbye Mr Chips TV Show) - Peter Pevensie
Anna Popplewell (Thunderpants) - Susan Pevensie

6 Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith
This is the last Star Wars Movie to complete the story of Darth Vader. I thought it was a good end to the saga. It had alot of action and tied up any loose ends. There is rumors to be a TV Show set between 3 and 4.
Ewan MacGregor (The Island) - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Natalie Portman (V for Vendetta) - Padme
Hayden Christensen (Life as a House) Anakin Skywalker

7 Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
This is yet another book adaptation on my list. This is based on a Book/Radio Serial/TV Show written by Douglas Adams. I really enjoyed this movie becausew it had lots of humour and action.
Mos Def (The Italian Job) - Ford Prefect
Martin Freeman (The office UK edition) - Arthur Dent
Zooey Deschanel (Elf) - Trillian

8 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
This is a more faithful Adaptation of Roald Dahl Fabulous book Charlie and the Chocolate factory as opposed to a remake of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory as some people still seem to state. I enjoyed this version cause they kept the origanal songs from the book and it had more humour.
Johnny Depp (Pirates of the Carribean) - Willy Wonka
Freddie Highmore (5 Children and It) - Charlie Bucket
David Kelly (Waking Ned Devine) - Grandpa Joe

9 The World’s Fastest Indian
This is a biography of New Zealander Burt Monroe who set the Land Speed Record in America. This is a very Inspirational story and it shows that you need to grasp your dreams as soon as you can.
Anthony Hopkins (The Silence of the Lambs) - Burt Monroe
Annie Whittle (Shortland Street) - Fran
Tim Shadbolt (Mayor of Invercargill) - Frank

10 Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang
This is a great movie for a good laugh. It has lots of action and Humor. It is based on a book as well.
Val Kilmer (Batman Forever) - Gay Perry
Robert Downey Jr (Gothika) - Harry Lockhart
Michelle Monaghan (Mr and Mrs Smith) - Harmony Faith Lane

11 The Corpse Bride
This is the 5th movie Johnny Depp (Ed Wood) and Tim Burton (The Nightmare before Christmas) have teamed up in. This is a great Claymation film. It has a lot of humour in it as well as some horror but not a lot.
Johnny Depp (Edward Scissorhands) - Victor Van Dort
Helena Bonham Carter (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) - Corpse Bride
Emily Watson - Victoria Everglot

12 The Island
This is one of the few Original Movies on my top 15 list. It has loads of humor and action in it.
Ewan McGregor (Star Wars Episode 3) - Lincoln Six Echo/Tom Lincoln
Scarlett Johansson (Spongebob Movie) - Jordan Two Delta/Sarah Jordan
Djimon Hounsou (Upcoming Eragon movie) - Albert Laurent

13 Fantastic 4
This is one of the only movies released in 2005 that is based on a Marvel comic book. This had alot of humor and it was faithful to the comic series. Stan Lee also made his regular appearance this time as a talking character.
Ioan Gruffudd (King Arthur) - Reed Richards
Jessica Alba (Sin City) - Sue Storm
Chris Evans (London) - Johnny Storm
Michael Chiklis (The Shield) - Ben Grimm

14 Hitch
This movie was so Funny that when i was making the list i was so tempted to have all the movies tied at Number 1 just so it would be number 1. But i didnt so here it is. I liked this movie cause A its a will smith movie and B It was Funny.
Will Smith (Men in Black) - Hitch
Eva Mendes (Stuck On You) - Sara
Kevin James (50 First Dates) - Albert

15 The Longest Yard
This Movie was a Remake of a Burt Renolds movie. This had a good mix of humour, action and piazazz. Burt also had a cameo in this movie as well.
Adam Sandler (Happy Gilmore) - Paul Crewe
Chris Rock (Madagascar) - Caretaker
Nelly (Snipes) - Megget

The movies on my shortlist That didnt make the cut were:
Finding Neverland