GE Cafe Microwave - Safety Hazard Beware

May 5, 2009
Review by  
Rated a Helpful Review

Pros:cooks well, nice look

Cons:If used in conjunction with GE Cafe Range/Oven below, you WILL burn your hand.

The Bottom Line: PLEASE read full review to determine if you want this product.  It could pose a safety hazard if used in conjunction with the range below.


I have already issued a complaint a couple of months ago. Since then I have once again burned my hand on my microwave. I purchased a GE CAFE set a few months ago. The individual units work fine, but when the microwave is above the stove/cooktop, the problem begins. The appliances are stainless steel. When using the burner below the microwave handle, for instance boiling water for pasta, the handle becomes so hot that it burns your hand if you try to open the microwave door. I had two GE authorized technicians check the product and the heat of the handle. Both technicians said that the handle was too hot for anyone to touch. They checked the UL rating and found that the UL rating maximum is a 131 and the handle was 135 after just a couple of minutes exposure to a pot with a medium boil below it. GE Technicians called in the findings and found that although they are aware of the issue, there is no fix. GE Customer Relations have been informed about this defect and told me that the solution was for me to "use a potholder" when opening the microwave door. I have burned my hand twice on this handle and am worried that my children or anyone else in my household will get further injuries. I spent well over $3,000 on these two appliances and would either like them fixed immediately, replaced or refunded.


Recommend this product?

Read all comments (2)

Share this product review with your friends   
Share This!