Reflections on Six Years: Celebrating an Epiniversary

by
Mar 25, 2006

The Bottom Line It's been fun! And more to come.....

Today I woke up early as I am usually wont to do. I followed my usual routine, made my usual pot of coffee, and sat down before the computer as usual to read my Epinions alerts. But today turned out not to be a usual day at all, as I glanced at my Epinions profile and realized just what today is.

It’s March 25th, or at least it is as I type. And as I glance at my Epinions profile, I notice the import of that date: it was six years ago today, March 25th 2000, that I joined the Epinions community. Today, some 1469 reviews and 587,000 hits later, Epinions has pretty much become part of my blood. And I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Are you like me? Do you try a new beer, or eat at a new restaurant, or read a great book only to run to the computer so that you can review it? Do you constantly seek out new products just so that you can review them? Do you fight with your kids for the keyboard, and disappear for hours at a time, lost in cyberspace?

I’ve met a lot of really cool people here (you know who you are). I’ve had the chance to sound off on a lot of products I’ve liked and disliked, and of course read about a lot more. I’ve gotten some great heads ups on books, beer, movies, electronics, and so much more.

The other day, I was pleased to get an e-mail out of the blue from Sweetpaulie indicating that he and Peter Ruden were coming back to the site. That was a very nice surprise; it’s good to see such talented writers rejoin the cast of characters here. Then too, we’ve had so much new talent join as well. Epinions is certainly better than ever.

The site is not perfect, and maybe someday that god awful search engine (which seems to be getting worse rather than better) really will be fixed. But overall I’ve had a lot of fun here, and I think many others have, too. Epinions is our little place on the web to make our thoughts known, and to hopefully help others along the way with their buying decisions.

As I look back over my reviews, I wonder if I had sat down six years ago and thought “OK, you’ve got about 1500 pages to write” whether or not I would have got into this. I think, probably, that I would have. I do like to write about beer, after all.

So, here’s to the last six years. They’ve sure been fun, and I want to thank everyone who reads my reviews and who write the reviews I like to read, too. This anniversary is for all of you, too. Because we’re all in this together, and I couldn’t have done it without you. And here’s to many, many more years of happy reviewing to come.

Member: John Staradumsky
Location: Canton, Georgia.
About Me: Christmas in July Write off is back!