Overseas Adventure Travel

Overseas Adventure Travel

ratings (38 Epinions reviews)

Route of the Maya - April 9, 2009

May 12, 2009 (Updated May 12, 2009)

• How strenuous was your tour?
  • Transportation quality:
  • Knowledge of tour guide(s):
  • How informative was your tour?

Pros:Great Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala sections

Cons:A feeling of penny pinching by OAT in Belize.

The Bottom Line: Recommend the Salvador/Honduras/Guatemala sections without reservations.  See reservations about the Belize add-on!

We greatly enjoyed the trip with our trip leader Bronson Torres.  Bronson is knowlegeable, an excellent communicator and diplomat, and very thorough.   This is a difficult trip and he made it easy!  With 16 people ranging from the 50s to the high 80s, he was able to accommodate everyone according to his capabilities.

We saw Guatemala as we never could have done on our own, from a man who loves his country.  This trip allowed us to mix with the people, especially in the small towns.

The hotels were all very good, and the people friendly.  Food was plentiful and generally very attractive, but one must have some tolerance for native food in the smaller places.  (Let it be said for those who have tasted Mexican food, that the food of Central America does NOT burn their palates!)

Every day was a new adventure.  On some days there was plenty of driving, but the drivers were very cautious and safe, and there were always multiple stops for sightseeing and the all-important bathrooms.

We cannot be as enthusiastic about Belize (post trip) as about the foregoing.  Benedicto, who welcomed us at the water taxi stop is competent enough and at his best as a snorkel master.  Aside from that, the one word to sum up this section of the trip is parsimony.

Included American Breakfast and one dinner?  There was a dollar restriction on the breakfasts, and if one ordered what was called "American breakfast" one still had to pay extra for the juice and fruit and tip.  Included dinner at a restaurant? It was good, but the special OAT menu said explicitely "Tip not Included".  The amounts in question are relatively small, but still, this is misleading advertising and leaves a bad taste.

And don't expect you that you can swim at the beach at your hotel!  It looks nice on the outside, but there is no usable beach.  You must walk to another hotel and hope you find your stuff after coming out of the water .... at high tide, if there are no jellyfish and the undercurrent does not get you!

The rooms at the Sunbreeze Hotel are dark, only low wattage
bulbs are used.   And one has to sign a contract that one will return the beach towels and not smoke or break other hotel rules!

The snorkel trip was the best part of this section.  The variety of sea life is amazing, and this was best part of the Belize addition.

I. Altman