Finally ... a Vacuum Cleaning System Worth Every Cent

May 24, 2009

Pros:Lightweight; amazing power; maneuverability; 2 machines for the price of 1; quiet

Cons:None

The Bottom Line:

Run, don’t walk, to get the Hoover UH30010COM Platinum vacuuming system … you will not be disappointed.

First, a disclaimer of sorts …. I’m a long-term, died-in-the-wool Hoover evangelist.  No, I don’t work for Hoover, but I’ve always used them religiously for over 30 years.  I’ve tried switching off to other top-of-the-line brands (Oreck, Eureka, Kenmore, etc.), but I always return to Hoover for their unsurpassed cleaning power and reliability.

That does not, however, mean they were perfect.

·         The Hoover WindTunnel U6439 bagged upright that I’ve had for the last several years would suck up a Buick.  Unfortunately, it also rivaled a Buick in the weight category.  Although it’s supposedly a “self-propelled” model, I felt like I had to go into training in order to vacuum my house.  It became something I would put off because I wasn’t sure I had the strength to wrestle this bulky beast all over my house.

·         The WindTunnel controls which allow you to change the brush height from carpet to floor were manual, hard-to-move levers on the brush housing which required you to shut the machine off in order to properly manipulate them.

·         The HEPA filter on my old WindTunnel seemed to work only for the first few months.  After that, all manner of airborne particles would fly around as I vacuumed, even after I cleaned/replaced the filters.

·         Lastly, noise of my previous WindTunnel was something akin to a jet taking off.

When I saw a TV commercial for the Hoover Platinum series machines, I was definitely intrigued.  I loved the idea of getting two separate vacuums together for one price (brilliant marketing idea there, Hoover).  But I was skeptical; could the power of a Hoover truly be housed in something that weighs only 11 pounds?  I’d tried other lightweight vacuums in the past and their suction was dubious at best.
I made a beeline for the Internet to start researching.  Over a couple of days of intensive reading (yes, I’m very thorough), I decided to continue my trust in Hoover and took the plunge.  I bought the entire two-machine system online (eBay) for a total price of $379 (no tax and free shipping).

Both machines come packaged together in a single tall box which was waiting for me on my front porch when I got home from work.  The first thing I noticed was that I could actually lift the entire box into the house without grunting like a Sumo wrestler… that was promising.  After removing everything, I was stunned at the weight … or lack thereof … for both machines.

The physical appearance is very appealing; the upright is sleek and slim with a 35’ long cord, and the canister has tools-on-board, along with an ingenious shoulder strap so you can “wear it” while you vacuum.  You will be stunned by how little these machines weigh … a child could easily lift them both.  But could they clean?

When I fired up the Platinum upright, the word that kept coming out of my mouth was WOW.  First off, no more jets taking off in my living room … just a pleasing HUM.  Second, this impossibly lightweight wonder gives a whole new meaning to the term self-propelled.  It seemingly FLOATED over my carpeting all on its own, while still having the suck-up-a-Buick power I expected from a Hoover.  It cleaned better in one pass than its older U6439 WindTunnel behemoth cousin did in several passes.  I was picking up stuff I didn’t even know was there.  How about making a pass underneath your bed, or behind your dresser that you haven’t moved since you moved in 15 years ago? It was astonishing how well this machine worked in just one pass.

I have a rather large, bulky throw rug in my kitchen that I had been preparing to replace because it had become so un-vacuum-able in recent weeks.  The Platinum upright made it look brand new.  And hallelujah for a TRUE edge cleaner!  Everyone claims to have edge cleaning ability on their uprights, but this one truly delivers on the promise.  Think about those sneaky areas in your house where all sorts of stuff lingers … like that dead zone along the baseboards tucked up under the bottom of your kitchen cabinets where they meet the kitchen floor.  This Platinum upright sucked up all that debris immediately … right to the edge.

The maneuverability of the Platinum upright is astonishing.  It truly is as light as Hoover claims and it moves as easily as a Dyson.  The upright portion of the machine lowers completely parallel to the floor so it really can move under coffee tables with ease.  It also moves from carpeting to floors effortlessly with an intelligent, lighted, fingertip control right up there on the handle.

The HEPA filtration is light-years ahead of my previous WindTunnel … think HEPA with a Hemi under the hood.  Yes, I know that bags are expensive, but you can find discounts if you search online and buy in bulk.  Plus, I don’t mind paying for a product that truly works … these bags, and this new Platinum HEPA filtration system, truly work.  No dust or other airborne nasties were visible anywhere.

The Platinum canister has a carrying strap, which makes so much sense.  The maintenance crew who cleans my office building uses strap-on canister vacuums and I always thought that was such an intelligent design … now, I’ve got my own.  And all the tools are right there attached to the unit, ready and waiting for you.  I toted that canister all over the house, cleaning window sills, ceiling corners, air conditioning vents, everything!  Then I walked into the garage and started cleaning the inside of my SUV.  It’s quiet, powerful and incredibly portable … the best “canister” I’ve ever used.

In my first test run of this Hoover Platinum “vacuum system,” I found myself LOOKING for stuff to clean; I couldn’t get enough of it.  The Hoover UH30010COM Platinum is, quite simply, the best vacuum PERIOD I’ve ever owned.  I absolutely LOVE this machine … and to get 2 vacuums – an upright and a canister – for the same price just makes terrific economic sense.  It has extraordinary power in a relatively quiet, sleek, lightweight package that doesn’t leave me feeling deaf, sore and exhausted.  Bravo, Hoover!