Comparing All Eleven Models of Fitness Quest's Ab Lounge

by
May 26, 2006

The Bottom Line Fitness Quest makes a whole host of products sold in many locations and online. The Ab Lounge is one of their products.

Fitness Quest Inc. manufactures and markets home exercise and fitness products. You may recognize the Ab Lounge, Easy Shaper, Tony Little's Gazelle, and the Total Gym. They are based on Canton, Ohio.

Fitness Quest products are sold at many retail stores; via television offers, by calling a toll free number and online at www.fitnessquest.com.

This essay addresses the Ab Lounge.

If I were to venture a guess I would say questions about the Ab Lounge and the various models are among the top number of e-mails I get. The following e-mail spawned this essay.

Jo,

I stumbled on your review of the ablounge while trying to research the differences between ablounge, ablounge2, ablounge sport, ablounge plus, ablounge ultimate, etc. I also noticed in the course of looking for your email the note about autoimmune disorders. I was just recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia (though I've had it for at least 15 years) and I'm trying to get back in shape for all of my muscles, especially the most painful back muscles. I've generally self-treated with exercise, yoga, etc., and I need to strengthen my abs after going from approx. 115 lbs to 160 over the past few years. I've been walking and exercise biking since I recovered from sinus surgery in March, and now I'm thinking of getting an ab machine because my back cannot tolerate floor crunches or most other ab exercisers I've tried.

I tried my neighbor's ablounge plus, which seems like it would work well for me as long as I don't hyper extend (which seemed counterintuitive to me and I was glad to read your informative description of why it shouldn't be done). I'll probably try to purchase that same model because it is the one I tested, and also because I saw a consumer product safety commission recall alert for some of the other models.

I was wondering if you know what the pertinent differences are between the various models other than weight limit, cost, and various extras, and if you have any thoughts on whether any particular model is better for people with back problems. My hunch is that the larger models wouldn't be a good idea for me because I'm 5'3" and the smaller one seemed to fit just right, although my husband may want to use it (he is just under 6" but nowhere near any of the weight limits- usually between 170 and 185). Thanks for any info you can provide.

My response:

Hi: Thanks for writing. For starters I think that if your husband wants to use it then it will be easier for you on a longer one and harder for him on a short one if you get what I'm saying. So if you have to choose because of hubby you will be ok with the longer one (in my opinion:)

The models are very similar. I don’t think any one model is better or worse for backs as long as it is used properly.

Regarding your first sentence. There is an easy explanation for this. Many companies make products specifically for a store. So for example you may see the Sport at Wal-Mart and perhaps no where else.

I hope this helps. Let me know how you make out. Jo

I want to start by letting you know that one difference with the Ab Lounge Sport is the assembly. This unit has to be completely assembled. The Ab Lounge 2 is almost assembled you just have to put the bands, handle bars, and locking arms on

Note that if a product is sold in a retail store the prices will vary. I am noting the cost of the Sport for you. I am also rounding the measurements to the nearest whole number.

Ab Lounge Sport: About $100; sold in stores; black canvass fabric, no adjustable foot rest, no tubing or stretching bands; does not fold; comes with a workout video; does not come with a mat; the handles fold inward for storage; 90 day warranty; weight limit is 250 pounds; 40" long x 30" wide by 45" high; weighs 32 pounds.

Ab Lounge II: $94.00; blue canvas; no adjustable foot rest; folds with wing nuts; no tubing or stretching band; workout DVD, no mat; hands fold in for storage; 90-day warranty; 250 pound weight limit; 40” by 30” by 45” (LxWxH); 32 pounds.

Ab Lounge Plus is sold in a variety of stores; blue canvas; no adjustable foot rest; folds with wing nuts; no tubes, stretching bands; workout DVD; comes with a mat; handles fold in for storage; 90-day warranty; 250 pound limit; 40” by 30” by 45” 32 pounds.

Ab Lounge Max 2 is sold in a variety of stores; blue canvas; no adjustable foot rest; handles fold with wing nuts; has tubing bands; workout DVD; no mat; 90-day warranty; 40” by 30” by 45” 32 pounds.

Ab Lounge Ultra is sold in a variety of stores; grey mesh, folds with removable knob; no bands; has workout DVD; no mat; handles fold inward for storage; 90-day warranty; 250 pound weight limit; 40” L by 30” W by 45” H; 32 pounds.

Ab Lounge Pro is sold at Dick’s Sporting Goods; black mesh; no adjustable foot rest; folds with removable knobs; no tubing or stretching bands; workout DVD; no mat; handles fold inward; 90-day warranty; 40” by 30” by 45” 32 pounds.

Ab Lounge Max is sold at a variety of stores; blue padded canvas; adjustable foot rest; fold with wing nuts; no tubing or stretching bands; workout DVD; no mat; doesn't fold; 90-day warranty; 275 weight limit; 54” L by 32” W by 46” high: 36 pounds.

Ab Lounge is sold online $185; blue padded canvas; adjustable foot rest; folds with wing nuts; no tubing or stretching bands; workout DVD with Rosalie Brown; no mat; doesn't fold; 90-day warranty; 275 weight limit; 54” by 32” by 46” 36 pounds.

Ab Lounge XL is sold online $215.00; black padded mesh; adjustable foot rest; folds with quick release; no tubing or stretching bands; workout DVD with Rosalie Brown; no mat; side handles fold inward; 90-day warranty; 275 weight limit; 54” by 32” by 46” 35 pounds.

Ab Lounge Ultimate is sold online $215.00; blue padded canvas; adjustable foot rest; folds with wing nuts; has stretching bands; no tubing bands; workout video with Rosalie Brown; no mat; doesn't fold; 1-year warranty; 275 weight limit; 54” by 32” by 46” 36 pounds.

Ab Lounge XL Pro is sold online $255.00; black padded mesh; adjustable foot rest; folds with quick release; tubing bands; no stretching bands; workout DVD with Rosalie Brown; no mat; handles fold inward; 1-year warranty; 275 weight limit; 54” by 32” by 46” 35 pounds.

Products I've reviewed by Fitness Quest:

Total Gym 3000Total Gym 1500

Fitness Quest Easy ShaperFitness Quest Easy Shaper Ultimate

Tony Little's Gazelle Freestyle EliteGazelle Edge Glide

Member: Jo
Location: on a bluff overlooking the ocean
Reviews written: 1929
About Me: Never gave out MHs and will not be rating Expert. Come visit my store www.destinee.kitsylane.com