Wow. Quality from America!

Jun 29, 2009

Pros:Quality craftsmanship, no cold spots, excellent performance

Cons:High initial investment, hot area near gas shut off valve

The Bottom Line: You get what you pay for, and Weber is worth getting and paying for.  I believe it's the highest quality out there.

My wife and I had been eyeballing this grill for some time.  We'd taken the plunge from charcoal to gas, and 3 yrs ago bought a $150.00 stainless top Brinkmann grill (we didn't know what we were in for).  In short time we regretted our purchase and even went back to the old Weber coal version we'd been so happy with.  The Brinkmann had large cold spots, used gas very liberally, the regulator required replacement, and it had rusted out badly by the time we bought the Genesis.

The Genesis grill is such an improvement over the old Brinkmann, we're blown away.  The entire grill surface actually grills, and does so very evenly and efficiently.  It also heats up quickly and seems to retain heat due to the thickness of the cast iron of the sides/bottom/lid.  The grates are solid and heavy and the flavor bars are thicker than we're used to.  Also, the drip pan and tray beneath the grill surface are sloped well for positive drainage into the tray.  Very well done.

The only flaw, if you could call it that, is that in order to turn off the gas on top of the tank, your hand gets very close to the hot surface beneath the grill.  It's a minor issue b/c you can wait for the grill to cool, but we forget to turn off the valve when we wait.  We'll get used to it.

It's definitely worth the price we paid, though we were gunshy at first.  It's obvious that what you pay for is what you get w/ Weber grills.  We're enjoying it so much, I'm already burned out on grilled meat!