Comments on A lot of visual flair and fine acting in a dozen 1999 standouts" (9 total)
  Comment Sorted by
Date Written
Toy Story 2
by jankp
It needs a review link. I liked the movie too. Good list. I agree that Swank wasn't convincing as a boy in Boys Don't Cry and that gave it less impact. I so hated The Sixth Sense, almost as much as Fargo. I saw Fargo recently and it really underwhelmed me. The Messenger isn't that great, but not as bad.

Jan
3:26 pm PDT

'99
by WilliamJones
Of course it's always fun to point out areas of disagreement, as well as omissions.

In reviewing various movies released in 1999, I was surprised you didn't select Ang Lee's Ride With the Devil in that you admit to being a fan of Tobey Maguire. Perhaps you didn't want to select two from Lee? I've watched both "Ride" and "Crouching Tiger," and were I to choose between the two, "Ride" would win hands down.

While I have yet to see Holy Smoke, in general I admire Jane Campion's work, so that one from 1999 is of significant interest, although I make no claim as to its quality.

I bought a used copy of The Talented Mr. Ripley on VHS, but have yet to actually watch the damn thing. Election is worthy of such a list. And I agree, Magnolia should rest somewhere near the bottom.

Regards,
William
3:48 pm PDT

Re: '99
by Stephen_Murray, Stephen_Murray is an Advisor on Epinions in Movies
"Holy Smoke" was mildly amusing.

"Ride with the Devil" is on my list of favorite movies. I should at least mention it here, nonetheless.

5:02 pm PDT

oooh
by drdevience
I liked Cedar House, but did not realize it was one of Lasse's... gonna have to go buy it so I can refresh in my mind enough to review it.

I adore you!

SvenskaDoc
5:08 am PDT

I too...
by gaelkm, gaelkm is an Advisor on Epinions in Movies
...liked "The Grey Fox" with Richard Farnsworth, but you're right, "Straight Story" was over rated. Nice list, Stephen!

~gael
7:54 am PDT

Re: Release Date
by Stephen_Murray, Stephen_Murray is an Advisor on Epinions in Movies
You are right. There are instances when US release year differs, but "Crouching Tiger" is not one of these. It (and Mansfield Park) were on my best of 2000 list already. Thanks for your attentiveness!
4:10 pm PDT

Agreed.
by millinocket, millinocket is a Lead on Epinions in Movies
I've liked each Alexander Payne less than its predecessor. While I really liked About Schmidt, I loved Election and actively disliked Sideways.

eXistenZ is....weird. I'll be interested to know what you think of it.

Sue
Jun 11, 2006
11:28 am PDT

Agree on all of it...
by vicfar
Although I cringe when I see Kubrick's work labeled "nonsense". Although EWS is his least brilliant movie, I would not quite go to extremes. It just does not work well like his other ones. I have actually watched it half a dozen times, and it grows on you. It is definitely not nonsense. I think it is the transposition of a 19th century novel (Schnitzler's Traumnovelle) into today's Manhattan that gives it the outdated sexual perspective we find so incredible.

V.
Jun 11, 2006
7:57 pm PDT

Bleary eyes
by Stephen_Murray, Stephen_Murray is an Advisor on Epinions in Movies
Schnitzler's works that I have read (and mountings of "Le Ronde" I have seen) have more contemporary relevance and do not drag on and on like EWS. It might be tolerable if an hour were cut out of the middle, but Tom Cruise is awful and is in almost every scene.
Jun 12, 2006