GE Consumer Relations said I was the only one!!!

Aug 3, 2009

Pros:Looks GREAT!

Cons:It isn't engineered to work above the GE Cafe range!! #$%@# it!

The Bottom Line: GE has to come up with a redesign - or retrofit - to make this over-the-range microwave work!!!!

We redesigned our entire kitchen around the recently released GE Cafe line - and it looks stunning!  The range is great, the 'frig is outstanding... but the-over the-range GE Cafe microwave is a disaster!
Its been installed for nearly a year, and has only worked without problems half that time.  The trouble is that the touch sensor control pad area gets really hot to the touch when cooking under it (and we had it placed over 6" higher than the installation instructions specified.)  So about 4 months ago the touch pad started to stop working whenever it got warm.  Then over a month ago, it stopped working completely!
GE service was called in and spent 5 minutes here, saying, after power cycling the unit (unplugging and re-inserting the power cord - actually had me do it!), that yes the touch pad was broken and would have to be replaced.
That was a month ago.  The repairman said he would order the part and reschedule the repair.  After hearing nothing for nearly 2 weeks I finally called to find out from GE Service what was happening and was told that the part was backordered and they couldn't tell me when to expect it.
We are still waiting for the part although they did call last Friday and let me know that the replacement touch pad should arrive at their warehouse by Aug 7th - and that I could expect it some time after that - oh and they are extending the warranty for us for an additional 6 months.
So we have had to live without our really expensive GE Cafe microwave for all this time!  Until this is resolved, I would not tell anyone I know that they should buy this microwave!