G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra

ratings (8 Epinions reviews)
Epinions Product Rating: OK

GI Joe Movie Review -- A Look At The New G.I. Joe Film

Aug 9, 2009 (Updated Aug 9, 2009)

Pros:a few good cast members

Cons:incoherent action sequences, lacking in depth, frustratingly bad dialogue

The Bottom Line: It served the purpose of two hours of entertainment, but it lacked in nearly every other department, including quality of production.  Wait for it on HBO.

Any G.I. Joe Movie review has to start with a reviewer admitting that they went to see the movie in the first place.  It's sort of like an admission to supporting films of lesser quality in the hope of enjoying two hours of mind-numbing entertainment.  Many viewers of G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra might actually call the film just that; mind numbing.  The premise of the movie had to be changed numerous times before it finally made it to theaters, and the end result was to try and have a team that wasn't representing America, but rather working on their own to battle the evil of the world.  Enter a group of seeming assassins working to become better soldiers, each having their own back story for why they have joined this group of "freedom fighters."  The change isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it needed more substance to work.

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra is meant to be the first in a series of films, with producers hoping that they have a gold mine waiting for them in GI Joe box office receipts.  Sorry folks, that's not quite going to be the case, at least in U.S. box office sales, because this is a film that is going to need to succeed overseas if its ever going to see a follow-up.  The question then becomes whether this film even deserves to have a sequel, or if one installment of the newest G.I. Joe franchise is enough to close the door on the franchise.  To get to the bottom of that, let's first talk about the positive aspects of the latest G.I. Joe movie.  There were a couple of good action sequences during a car chase in the middle of the film, and there are some interesting moments during an undersea battle that is unlike anything we have seen before.

The problems with G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra is going to take a little longer to describe though, as there were many more problems than solutions in the new presentation of this franchise.  The first, and biggest problem, was that the movie didn’t take itself seriously.  In order to do that, they needed to provide a strong set of dialogue between the characters that could have kept the movie moving without guns and explosions.  The second very large problem, was the use of flashbacks in order to fill in the gaps of the characters, and in order to do that, it required cuts into the main action sequences.  It takes the viewer out of the film, and spoon-feeds the emotion to actually care about where the characters have come from.  Then there is the needless fighting, the non-stop blowing things up mind-set of the film, and finally the lack of a scary villain.

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra is going to be a #1 movie in the box office for its opening weekend, and it is going to be a short instance where people will be able to enjoy some nice air conditioning.  That doesn’t make it a good movie, and while it could have held the promise of being an intriguing arc for the franchise, it is frustrating that they may have killed the idea without even trying.  The plot of this film is that the final pieces of the “Joe” team are being put together in order to try and retrieve some very devastating warheads that have been stolen.  These warheads are of course taken by the group of bad guys that will become Cobra, and attempted to be used against the world.  Enter the G.I. Joe crew, and the fun begins, or at least it was supposed to.  The cast of the film includes actors like Channing Tatum and Marlon Wayans, but no direct draws.  The only real reason to see this film is if you are looking to waste a few hours and just want to see numerous explosions that seem to run together.  Otherwise, you can skip this popcorn flick.