Real Men do Cry at Movies: 10 Movies that made me cry

Sep 3, 2006

Popular Products in Movies
HASH(0xc8b99c0)  Reviews
From $16
The Bottom Line Men can and do cry at the movies, 10 films that made me bawl like a little girl.

A good movie should have the power to move you to some emotion whether it be laughter, terror, excitement, or tears. These are movies that I loved that also made me cry like a little girl.

10. Immortal Beloved (1994 directed by Bernard Rose) How could a movie about Ludwig Van Beethoven move me to tears? You watch Gary Oldman play the greatest composer who ever lived, and then you watch and realize when it is too late for everyone that it was fate that kept Beethoven from realizing the love of his life, his Immortal Beloved. Although only based on hypothesis, I have read items that would support the premise, and none that refute it outright. To top it off, the moment of realization is shown as flashbacks of Beethoven running through the woods humming that stupid tune at the top of his lungs, you know da da dum da dum dum da dumm dum dum Gary Oldman looking as much like Beethoven as I have ever seen an actor portray lays in a pool, thousands of stars reflected in its depths, as Ode to Joy plays loudly.

9. Awakenings (1990 directed by Penny Marshall). This was one film that was neither about death nor loss of love that made me cry. It was about a doctor, Dr. Malcolm Sayer (Robin Williams) who thought he had developed a cure for catatonic patients at the mental hospital he worked at. The cure was tried on patient Leonard Lowe (Robert DeNiro). As DeNiro awakens from 20 plus years from a catatonic state, we feel an incredible amount of emotion for him as he realizes he has lost much of his life, but struggles to get it back. If that doesn't make you cry, when the medicine stops working, you will.

8. Born on the Fourth of July (1989 directed by Oliver Stone) Once upon a time, Tom Cruise could act. His portrayal of Ron Kovic a Viet nam vet who was paralyzed in action was so powerful and moving that I still recall that it made me cry the first time I watched it.

7. Edward Scissorhands (1990 written and directed by Tim Burton) Yup, leave it to me to be moved by the fairy tale like story of Edward Scissorhands (Johnny Depp) and his ill fated romance with Kim (Winona Ryder). At its heart of course, the film was about how we treat those who are different than we, and reject them. How Depp put so much emotion into his character behind a veil of makeup and prosthetics was amazing.

6. Mystic River (2003 directed by Clint Eastwood)Clint Eastwood is truly a great director. This tale set in the neighborhoods of Boston was a truly compelling and moving tale of three close friends and what happened as the result of one fateful day in their child hood. Sean Penn's portrayal of Jimmy Markhum, a man who has lost his daughter shows just how far he has come in his acting abilities.

5. The Notebook (2004 directed by Nick Cassavetes) Darn, this is why I don't usually watch chick flicks, they always have to be so darn sad! I got totally caught up in the love story between Noah (Ryan Gosling) and Allie (Rachel McAdams) that when I found out the sad truth of their undying love, I cried.

4. Forrest Gump (1994 directed by Robert Zemeckis) Yes, this film mostly made me laugh, but Forrest's (Tom Hanks) love of life long sweet heart Jenny (Robin Wright Penn) and its bittersweet end moved me to tears. Why don't you love me Jenny? I'm not a smart man, but I know what love is

3. Les Parapluies de Cherbourg (The Umbrellas of Cherbourg) (1964 directed by Jacques Demy) This one is a love story, told in song. It is, as the director says, a three hankerchief film. If you believe in love and fate, and that your soul mate is out there for you, you will cry. In Umbrellas, the soul mates meet, and fall deeply in love. The young man is sent to war, leaving behind, his love and unknowingly, his child. They each end up marrying another. You have ice water running through your veins if you can keep your eyes dry as the two meet at films end while Connie Francis I will Wait Forever plays.

2. Hotaru no haka (Grave of the Fireflies) (1988 Directed by Isao Takahata) This is the sad tale of the last days of a 12 year old boy and his little sister trying to survive in WWII Japan. Forget that we were the ones at war with them back then (and you will watching this). This film focuses on those left behind in the war, children. Did I mention its also an anime? Yes it is, not all Japanese anime is wide eyed short skirt school girls and giant robots. This is an example of how powerful anime can be as a story telling medium.

1. La Vita e bella (Life is Beautiful) (1997 written, directed and starring Roberto Benigni) Benigni does the impossible here, making a romance/comedy set in WWII about a Jewish family sentenced to death in a Nazi prison camp. In the first part of the film, I laughed with joy as Guido romanced the love of his life, Dora, and won her. They have a son, and in the second half of the film, they are taken off to a Nazi concentration camp because they are Jewish. Guido spins fantastic tales to his young son to protect him from the true horror that is happening. By the films end, my face was wet, and my throat was sore.

shopaholic_man is an Advisor on Epinions in Music
Member: Mark
Location: Near Boston, MA
About Me: Been writing reviews here since 2004. Check them out!