Candice Turns the Big 3-0

by
Sep 22, 2006

The Bottom Line Happy birthday to me... Happy birthday to me....

I turn 30 years old today. That's 3 decades. THREE. At 3:30am on September 23, I will officially say goodbye to my 20s and welcome in the 30s. Ouch.

I've done a lot of reflecting this week and the weeks leading up to my birthday - this major milestone in my life - and I truly think that I've lived a really full life. I mean, I have really done more in my 30 years than most people have done by their 60s. The places I've lived and traveled, the things that I've done, the people I've met... I am a truly lucky and blessed individual.

I don't exactly know what to write here, but I really wanted to put something up on Epinions because this is such an important event in my life, and Epinions is really an important part in my life. Granted, I haven't written very much lately, but I have a few good excuses. Regardless, I have met many wonderful people on Epinions, a lot of which have helped me put together Teen Trend Magazine.

I really wanted to do what my best friend, Dionne, did on her 30th birthday: Announce that I was having a baby. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. I had my second miscarriage this year on July 24th due to doctor negligence. I was pregnant and didn't know, the doctor didn't do a blood test on me and prescribed me with 100mg of Clomid, and I miscarried less than a week later. I've been in and out of hospitals since then, and have finally been getting some terrific care from a Reproductive Endocrinologist. Hopefully, I'll be able to report on Dionne's birthday (February 7) that I am preggers. Keep your fingers crossed for me...

It's funny. When a person reflects on their life and all they have done, it seems that the negative clouds the vision of the positive. A lot of negative stuff has occurred in my lifetime thus far, and I'm sure there are more negative events to come. I want to take this time to reflect on the positive things in my life. I'm not gloating.. It's my party and I'll write if I want to.

I've got the best husband in the world. I really, really do. Craig is an amazing guy, and I'm not just saying that because I'm his wife. He's really humble, too, so he'd never admit it. First of all, he's really stable. He's got a great, solid job as a police officer. He has a great family. He's loving, caring, smart (sometimes a little too smart), funny, and very easy to get along with. Did I mention that he's generous? I wanted my dear, dear friend Mechelle to come out for my birthday, but tickets were too expensive. My darling husband used HIS frequent flyer miles to get Mechelle a ticket to spend the weekend with us. I'm gushing, I know. But, I'm really lucky to have him, and head over heels in love. I could go on and on, but I'll spare you.

I've got the two best female friends anyone could ever ask for.
I have known Dionne since the Miss Metro New York National Teenager Pageant in 1991. We weren't instant friends, either... It just kind of progressed until we were inseperable on the weekends. Even though she lives in Canada now and I'm still in NY, I consider her my bestest friend in the whole wide world.

Mechelle and I have been friends since right before the poop hit the fan when I lived in CA in 2004. She lived with a mutual friend, then moved in with me. As a matter of fact, she and Dionne were the ones that convinced me to meet Craig. Mechelle doesn't live next door, either-- She's in frickin' Wyoming-- But, she too is my best friend.

Dionne and Mechelle are so different, yet strikingly similar. They are both fiercely loyal. I know that these two ladies would do ANYTHING for me-- And, quite frankly, they already have. They were there for me IMMEDIATELY in my darkest hour. Mechelle was in my wedding party, but Dionne couldn't come because she was poppin' fresh pregnant. (But, I know she was there in spirit!) I was in Mechelle's wedding three months after mine. These two women are friends I know that I will have FOREVER. They will be aunts to my children even though we're not related. Heck, they are already Aunty D and Aunty Mechelle to Kiwi, my chihuahua.

I love my family. And I'm proud to say that. My mom and my sister are both amazing women. Granted, I don't talk to my father nor anyone on his side of the family, but it doesn't matter. Craig's family welcomed me into their family as their daughter, and I couldn't ask for a better father than his dad. He brought tears to my eyes today simply by calling and saying, "Hi, Candice. It's Daddy." My grandmother, God bless her, is the strongest woman I know. I can't wait to introduce her to some great-grandchildren. And the rest of my family is terrific, too. I love them so much, and I don't know what kind of person I would be without their support and love. I miss my grandfather and Aunt Elisa so much, it still pains me to even think about them not being here. I am so, so fortunate.

I have just one regret in my life. And, compared to a lot of people I know, that's basically like saying I don't have any. Too many people live in the past and focus on the bad stuff that has happened to them. The only regret I have in my life is not taking pictures at Thanksgiving in 2000. It's the last time I saw my Aunt Elisa alive. I would do anything to have her back.

I was a professional actress. How many people can say that? I appeared in countless television shows and movies. I lived in Los Angeles and had a "Hollywood Lifestyle." I was fortunate enough to realize that it wasn't for me before I got in too deep, so I came home.

I am a published playwright. How many people can say that, too? I've got two plays published with two more coming out in October. Hopefully, this sets a trend with Candice Cain plays being released on a yearly basis.

I run a magazine. Okay, so maybe the magazine is struggling financially - A LOT - but, I have faith that it will pass and we will start doing well. And soon, I know. I developed this magazine from scratch. I had a lot of support from friends and family, and we are now in our fourth issue. When I step back and look at it, that's pretty damned impressive.

Overall, I am a happy person. I've got a lot going for me. I am very lucky, and I know that I have worked very hard to get where I am. I also realize that I've got a lot more work ahead of me in years to come to become financially successful. But, I'll do it. With all of the friends and family that I have supporting me, I truly have all of the riches I need.

Craig is taking me to a place I've wanted to visit since I was 10 years old: The Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY. Not a "normal" way for a woman to spend her 30th birthday, but I am totally excited about it. AS Dionne can tell you, I am a HUGE baseball fan. As a matter of fact, when I was 10, I wanted desperately to be the first woman player for the NY Mets.

Maybe that dream didn't come true, but a whole bunch of others sure did.

Location: Brookhaven, NY
About Me: Mom of twins, wife of a police lieutenant, marketing executive, world traveller, renaissance woman...