Dead after 18 months

Oct 28, 2009

Pros:Somewhat stylish

Cons:Poor build quality - feels flimsy
Not very durable
Expensive

The Bottom Line: Avoid Kitchenaid microwave ovens.

I bought this microwave to finish our kitchen upgrade.  We had put a Viking gas stove, Bosch stainless dishwasher, Kitchenaid stainless side by side fridge and a La Spaziale espresso machine into our new kitchen.  We had replaced all kitchen cupboards and only had to choose a nice new microwave oven.  I looked at several brands including Panasonic, Amana, GE and the high end brands such as Viking and Wolf.

The Kitchenaid looked quite nice but always sounded much louder than our previous microwave oven.  (Just) after the first year of use, it started to act a little strange where it sounded like it was working but frozen foods weren't defrosted and regular food was not cooked as much as it should have been.

Finally after 18 months, it makes noise but doesn't actually do anything.  It had always felt flimsy and poorly built.  We were quite dissappointed in this purchase, but felt that we should stick with it as it was paid for : )

I love my Kitchenaid fridge, but will not ever buy one of their microwaves again - the new models feel just as flimsy.  I have just replaced it with a Panasonic.  Hopefully it will last longer, as I don't wish to fill the landfill with microwave ovens every 18 months.