Great for Gaming

Nov 18, 2009

Pros:Excellent backlighting and keypad quality.

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: I am very satisfied with this keyboard.  I feel this keyboard is great for typing and PC gaming.

I am very satisfied with the Saitek Eclipse II.  This keyboard is good for everyday typing use, and especially good for PC gaming.  I have used this keyboard for around a year.  I play a lot of PC games, and type regularly.  This keyboard has definitely been used and tested.

Backlighting:
The best and most obvious feature of this keyboard is the illuminated keypad.  Before owning this keyboard I used the original Saitek Eclipse.  I liked the original, but was less than impressed with the keyboards lighting.  The Eclipse II has a much better backlighting than the original Eclipse.  The backlighting on this keyboard seems brighter and more evenly distributed across the keyboard.  The light also comes through the keys much better allowing for a more visible letter on each key.  The lighting is perfect for typing or playing games in the dark.  The Eclipse II also allows you to adjust the backlighting and choose what backlight color you want blue, red, and purple are available.  This is easily adjustable on the keyboard.  On the previous Eclipse you would have to buy the color you wanted, and were stuck with that color forever.

Key Quality:
The keys feel good and cushioned, and are pretty quiet.  I found the key sensitivity perfect for PC gaming.  The keyboard has large rubber feet on the bottom to keep the keyboard secure and in place.  The keyboard comes with a detachable wrist rest.  I do not use mine, but if you require wrist support for typing it is provided.

I like the Eclipse II significantly more than the original Eclipse, and I chose it over the Logitech G15 do to its size.  The Eclipse II is not as long as the Logitech competition so it fits in bags for travel much more easily.  The G15 has more features such as an LCD screen, but I found these extra features to not be useful for my simple needs.  The Eclipse II has met all my needs for typing and gaming.