GE Dryer Just What We Needed

Nov 27, 2009 (Updated Nov 27, 2009)

Pros:Very quiet, good choice of heat and drying cycles

Cons:Lightbulb has failed twice in less than  a year. LOUD buzzer.

The Bottom Line: I'd buy this model again.

Given our tendency to hurry and overload the dryer some days with towels and jeans, I'm rather surprised our old machine lasted as long as it did. After several repairs because the drum wouldn't turn correctly and because of its incredibly loud operating noise, it was time for a new one.

After a fairly brief bit of research, I bought a General Electric dryer model DBXR463EG primarily because it was relatively cheap and available for immediately delivery. All in all, it was a good purchase.

It operates with four heat settings, six drying cycles and has a cool-down feature though not a moisture sensor; the width is 27 inches; depth is 25 1/2 inches and it's 42 inches high.

Sometimes you have to buy something new to realize how bad the old one was.

We have had the dryer for a year and it suits our  daily and immediate needs. Things dry quickly, efficiently and quietly. It also has proven to be a great lint collector, superior to our old machine, since the filter quickly and regularly fills up and clothes are coming out extra clean, no sign of lint or the stray dog hair (Lab) that seems to materialize everywhere in our house.

But there's the first of two problems, albeit small ones, with this dryer.

The lint trap comes out easily enough but doesn't fit back into the space as well. I have to put it back into place and fiddle with it several times before it fits the space and even then doesn't necessarily fit tightly. If I don't work it several times, lint gathers in the holding space and even falls through an opening to the floor. This doesn't seem to be a good idea. This is the one function that is worse than our old machine.

The other problem is that I have twice replaced the lightbulb in less than a year because they have burned out, and they are not easy to replace. This is mildly annoying-- we can live without the light and that's what we're doing now but it seems something that could be fixed.

Overall, we are quite pleased with the way the dryer works. As mentioned, it is much quieter than our older model, to the point that I can be quite near the utility room  and have to peek in to see if it's running. This is a huge benefit, since it's near an apartment our downstairs apartment  and noise is a potential problem, especially since I frequently run it late at night.

The only other gripe I have is the really loud buzzer that alerts us that the cycle is coming to an end. I'm not sure why appliance makers think this is an essential tool; I wish I could turn it off, and should the machine ever need to be fixed, I'm going to ask the repairman to disconnect it.

We paid $378 at a local appliance store last year. It's been well worth it.

Part of the Lean 'n Mean writeoff--come on and join in!