Comments on About Me 2007: A Day with Smorg" (40 total)
  Comment Sorted by
Date Written
Re: Smorgy, you're great!
Privet Arashi!
Spasiba, matie. :o) I dunno if I can make a juicer instruction sound fascinating, but I do have some horror stories about my abortive efforts to make punches. ;oP ...

Or even hot cocoa! I got lazy this morning and just microwaved the water in my cup instead of boiling it... Left it in too long and the water was superheated, so when I dump the hot cocoa in, the darn thing practically exploded! No flame or anything, but it was a heck of a bubbling cocoa bath that made me grateful that the kitchen counter is very stain-resistant gray rather than white. ;o) Maybe I'll write that up in another Writer's Corner piece one of these days.

Thanks a bunch again! Hope the sun is on its way to Moscow!

Cheerio,
Mar 19, 2008
11:00 pm PDT

Smorgy, you're great!
by arashi-san
It's so cool to have people like you around. ^_~ And you're truly a fantastic writer. I bet you can make a juicer instruction sound fascinating!
Mar 18, 2008
12:30 pm PDT

Re: Boy....
Hiya Schlamozzel,
O, the screaming pair are now doing their screeching elsewhere (I think back east) now, thanks goodness. :o) Though the pigeons are still as bratty as usual!

Thanks a bunch for your compliments, too. :o) Hope reading this didn't plant too many psychedelic picture in your mind about America's Finest City! ;o)

Happy weekend, bro!
Mar 7, 2008
3:29 pm PST

Boy....
by Schlamozzel
Do I ever NOT want to be in your neighborhood! Not with screaming neighbors that seem to put Beverly Sills to shame!

Gee I like your style of writing! You really know how to make the reader visualize exactly what you are saying. It takes a certain type of person to do that.

Schlamozzel
Mar 6, 2008
7:19 am PST

Re: What a truly awesome ...
Hey MZ,
You're really spoiling me rotten. Thanks for dropping by! :o)

Gotta say it, matie, you have a remarkably high tolerance for the smorgily rambling essays. ;o) My cat gets bored with me if I say more than 3 sentences on anything. Unfortunately, the reversed isn't true and so he can't sing me to sleep when I have one of those caffeine-overloaded night. ...or rather, he's better not try to sing me to sleep. The little furry fella is one of the few things on this green earth than can actually sing worse than I do. ;oP

Anyhow, I feel really honored that you'd take the trouble to look up my older essays, MZ. Thanks very much and hope they provide good entertainment. :o) See ya' around Epinions!

Apr 4, 2007
4:27 pm PDT

What a truly awesome ...
by milena_zepeda
...thing you have done - I think that you've shared a lot of yourself here and I feel honored to 'know' you, through this review! Too cool, Smorg - yes you are! :)

11:45 am PDT

LOL!
by milena_zepeda
"...And only 2 or 3 people you run into on the streets each day here are native Californians... "

So true, so true... (said the native Californian, who may have moved out of state and back again a few times, but was literally born & bred here;)!

:::ok - finishing the review before I babble again::

11:32 am PDT

Oh my gosh...
by milena_zepeda
"...the 2nd thing I noticed when I moved to the coast was that people don’t expect you to answer their, ‘How are you?’..."

I've lived on the central coast of CA for most of my life and people always just about fall over when I reply with "Good thanks, how are you?"! It never fails to crack me up!

::Back to reading your awesome review now::

11:29 am PDT

Hiya Beve!
by smorg
Okay, time to quit writing epinions! (Reply to this comment)
Now you've got me blushing like a shy goldfish! :o) Thanks so much for stopping by and your very kind words.

Ack, dunno about a novel, though. I don't concentrate very well for a long time (unless I'm thinking about something to do with work.. and that would make some boring novel ;o) ). It's great to know you had a good time reading this piece, tho! That's very rewarding for me.

Thanks again! Hope your weekend is looking wonderful!
Smorg ;o)
Mar 2, 2007
2:47 pm PST

Okay, time to quit writing epinions!
by besunshine
It is time for you to quit writing epinions and move on to a novel. Your author voice is very alluring. You weren't saying much, but the way you were saying it would have kept me turning the page. The essay was fantastic. Thanks for the glimpse into your life, but most of all thanks for the very entertaining 15 minutes.
-Beve
Mar 1, 2007
2:49 pm PST

Hiya Summer16 & Diana the ShlepQueen :o)
by smorg
Diana: You educate us all about opera, and you leave encouraging and cheerful comments - everywhere. Thanks for all of that,
Now you've got me as red as a blushing apple... Thanks, Diana!

I actually have a sinister agenda, see... I'm getting too addicted to Epinions and so have been trying to spread the addiction around. That way I wouldn't feel like the only weirdo on the block. ;o) The more the merrier in this fantastic loony bin!

summer16: You intrigue me. In the good way of course.
Hey, thanks, summer! My cat keeps telling me that too, but I don't think he means it is as benevolent a way. :o)

Thanks for stopping by, gals. Hope your weekend went well and Monday is looking good!

11:30 pm PST

Just wanted to say ...
by dianapinions
... that you are such an asset to this site. You educate us all about opera, and you leave encouraging and cheerful comments - everywhere.

Thanks for all of that,

Diana
3:03 pm PST

Hmmm....
by summer16
You intrigue me. In the good way of course.
10:30 am PST

Hiya Dusty, Bettega, & Regina!
by smorg
Regina: It's called "human apathy" and I suppose most people are infected with this virus! Good on you, Smorg, for being a caring person!
Thanks, Regina! It used to drive my mom nuts, actually. She's a doctor and is a bit paranoid about me catching some nasty germs from the trashes I pick up (I don't pick 'em up if they're wet or so thoroughly soiled, tho).

Guess one downside of living in a big city with lots of non-natives is that many don't feel 'it's my town' and aren't proactive about taking care of it like they would their own backyard (hopefully they do take care of their own backyard, too). I came from a small town in Missouri, so trash on the sidewalks near my pad bugs me... ;o)

Bettega: Like I said... Don't argue with the Queen of the Night. (ah-choo!)
ROFL. You're a quick study, doc! I wouldn't condon a germ-warfare myself, but when the other side is armed with all those high notes... well, exceptions are called for. ;o)

Dusty: May I have an autographed Shleppie doll also? I'm at my weakest moment and need something to hug for comfort. ;)
Hey, we can start a Shleppie dolls collectors club! Gotta get the Shleppies to autograph 'em and pretty soon we'll establish the Shleppie Doll Hall of Fame... somewhere in ...er... Kansas? I'm rambling and I haven't even had my rootbeer yet! ;o)

Thanks for stopping by, mates! Hope your weekend is looking beautiful.
6:08 pm PST

Hiya Smorg!
by reginafug
Read your essay with interest and couldn't help but notice,

" but couldn't resist stopping to pick up some litters on the side-walk. Why can't people walk the extra 3 steps to put the trash in the bin? How much trouble would the extra few steps out of the way cause? "

Regina

11:33 am PST

Like I said...
by bettega
Don't argue with the Queen of the Night. (ah-choo!)

Ciao
Bettega
6:43 am PST

Re: SmorgMan!

6:21 am PST

Re: SmorgMan!
Hey Diana,
Thanks! I'm surprised you gals haven't been scared off by it, actually. :o) Will have another go at it (hopefully without the help of spiked rootbeer) in a bit.

Wow!! An autograph Diana Sleppie dolls!!! I am so spoiled. ;o) I'd go for the extra small, please. You gals are our Mighty Mites.

Thanks a bunch for stopping by!
Feb 22, 2007
10:45 pm PST

SmorgMan!
by dianapinions
So cool to get a glimpse into your life and who you are! I encourage you to write more like these. (even if I'm too chicken to!)

Diana

ps. About those SHLEPPIE Dolls you requested, would you prefer the Small or Extra Small ones? Shall I autograph 'em for ya'? LOL!
Feb 22, 2007
1:48 pm PST

Hey Melissa, Dusty & Countess!
by smorg
R: I hope to see you write more about yourself. I always love to learn about my favourite people. Keep up the good work! Also, sounds like you listened to some really great music.
Thanks, R. :o) I always enjoy reading your reviews and getting a glimpse of how you think from them, too. To tell the truth the only spooky books I've ever read are Bram Stoker's Dracula and Stephen King's Salem's Lot many many years ago. Now you and Summer (Lyoness) are really making them tempting to read again. Thanks!!

Epinions is loosening me up a bit, I think. Might try writing more ... but I'm still a bit shy about spilling too much guts on an internet site at the moment. Hope the music came out ok on your speakers. ;o) I wish there are more sites with opera music around. This one doesn't tell you who sings the pieces.

Dusty: Be my guest! :)
There I think we've out voted her. Thanks, mate! ;o)

Melissa: gotta watch out for them man eating flowers. I saw em on discovery, but they only ate birds... hehe. Wait you can also get a gllimpse of this rarity on the sims 2 game... :)
I've better check it out then! Maybe I'll learn some cool ways of eradicating them if I ever find a bunch of man-eating flowers on my door step. ;o) ... the divas and their protective husband!!

Thanks for stopping by ladies! Hope the week is rolling along great your way.

10:28 pm PST

From Countess . . .
by countess_eva
Hi,
Great review! I was so delighted to see this on your list and learn more about you and your day. Great essay that I really enjoyed. I hope to see you write more about yourself. I always love to learn about my favourite people. Keep up the good work! Also, sounds like you listened to some really great music.

- R.
5:55 pm PST

Re: Hey Dusty & Epops!
by ddustyrose
Morgan Freeman is a better actor than Sidney Poiter but Sidney is good--just not in Freeman's league.

Now if I could just copy and paste this to my next email to my old buddy... ;o)

Be my guest! :)

9:28 am PST

Re: Hey Melissa!
by dimeuhday
Wait you can also get a gllimpse of this rarity on the sims 2 game... :)
7:20 am PST

Hey Summer & Stephen!
by smorg
Ack! I knew I missed something. Consider it fixed. Thanks, Stephen!! (I'm doing a pennance on it by subjecting myself to another round of the 1953 Elektra from Bayreuth tonight. Will see if I survive Varnay's truly demented Elektra a 5th time. ;o)

Hey, I'll remember that, too, Summer. You've better be stocking up on Bud Light. ;o)

Thanks a bunch for stopping by, guys!
Cheers,
Smorg ...very sorry to not have a ticket to go stalk Denyce Graves at San Diego Opera's Samson et Dalila tonight.
6:09 pm PST

You musta been
by Stephen_Murray
blinded with fury to make Richard Strauss the composer of "Tristan and Isolde"!
3:01 pm PST

Re: Hiya Summer & Barbara!
by lyoness913
Summer: Lovely write-up and yet... I want to know more..
Thanks, Summer! I'm afraid I'll need a few sips of beer before divulging more, tho. But then my cat doesn't like the smell of alcohol (did I ever mention how strange he is?). You've better be careful what you wish for, tho. I'm from St Louis after all... might be another one of those 1000 yrs old vampires, ya' know. ;o)

Well.. given that I am somewhat of a vampire junkie.. I DEFINITELY need to buy you a beer.. or two!
;)
Summer
1:43 pm PST

Hey Melissa!
by smorg
Nah, I was just being flip... as usual. ;o)
He eats grass sometimes, though, and then throws it back up later like yours does. What the heck is with cats, ay?

Hey, that's not me in the photo, you teaser! Frau Kasarova's husband would kill me if I try to impersonate her... For one thing, I can't sing. For another, I didn't give her last CD all the stars. If he guesses who I am he'll probably send me a bunch of those stinky rain-forest man-eating flowers. ;o)

Thanks for stopping by, mate!
9:53 pm PST

Is
by dimeuhday
your cat really alleric to flowers!?!?! Mine eats them. I think hes allergic too, because usually an hour later he throws em up. hehe. Enjoyed your peice! Oh by the way, you sure are pretty. Cute new pic you have up Ive never seen.
11:09 am PST

Hey Dusty & Epops!
by smorg
epops: and you have a great outlook on life, especially for being so young and having arthritis.
Thanks, mate. :o) Walking around with a cane does have its perks, tho.. I get great seat on the buses now. And a nice young lady actually opened a door for me at a restaurant yesterday! Feelin' spoiled rotten. ;o)

I'm learning a lot about opera from reading your reviews. You might enjoy reading "Mildred Pierce" by James M. Cain. It contains a nice (if slightly cynical) character study of a coloratura soprano.
O, cool! Thanks for the tips, mate. I hadn't heard of that one before. Must check it out. Hopefully I'm not leading you astray on the opera either. I think I'm learning more about it writing it up than before. Now I'm just waiting to be scolded out by a real opera singer (hopefully one that can't hit any note above the stave). ;o)

Dusty: I've often asked myself (and others) "How do I justify my (your) existence?" I'm still searching for an answer. Other people just look at me as if I've lost it. :)
O, I was just being flip, really. ;o) I'm one of those weirdos that actually don't think I'm any better than a cat... so as long as my cat doesn't start looking like he's pondering the meaning of life, I won't think too hard on it (kinda afraid my answer would be 'I exist to feed Behemoth twice a day with his favorite brand of cat food'... then I'll be really depressed.

I'm very happy you survived that childhood! You've got such great perspectives from it. I guess we all tend to imagine what we didn't/don't have sometimes and often end up idealizing them. ...and then you get married... Just kidding!!

Now if I could just copy and paste this to my next email to my old buddy... ;o)

I take the 5th and refuse to comment on how exciting your Saturday's are. *grin*
Whah! O, com'on, gal! It was an action-pack day. I even had a pair of trousers with a battle stain to prove it. ;o)
O, well.. Today will be more exciting... I'm going to watch 2 of Wagner's Ring Cycle opera. They are 4 plus hrs a piece. With some luck I'll still be sane tomorrow. ;o)

Thanks a bunch for stopping by and for your kind words, guys! Hope the week has started well your way.

5:06 am PST

Nice vignette!
by epops
I really enjoyed reading your sketch. You're a very good writer, and you have a great outlook on life, especially for being so young and having arthritis.

9:13 pm PST

Smorg
justify my existence

How ironic I see this statement here as I've often asked myself (and others) "How do I justify my (your) existence?" I'm still searching for an answer. Other people just look at me as if I've lost it. :)

It is true that one can’t miss what one doesn’t know exists

I find this to be very true--at least in my life. A tragic event in my childhood ripped my world apart. A little girl died and a broken one survived. She didn't know, or experience, the same things as "normal" people, so how can she miss what she never knew?

Having fun,

8:43 pm PST

Hiya Summer & Barbara!
by smorg
Barbara: to have missed a few minutes of Rick Steves in order to pick up litter certainly should get you points...I know it does in my book..:)
Thanks, Barbara! I pretty much had to, tho... the vision of those plastic bags floating around on the side-walk would have haunted me. It's only a few more bends and a few more steps, but the place looked so much better (and that prevented me from feeling like I'm living in a slum... a definite plus). :o)

Summer: Lovely write-up and yet... I want to know more..

Thanks a bunch for stopping by, ladies! Hope your weekend's been a lovely one!

5:24 pm PST

Hey Mike & Macy!
by smorg
Macy: you made me laugh: a blimp with legs. I've got 2 pidgeons that perch on my fence during the warmer weather. Their cooing is a very relaxing sound.
Cool! I love to spread the funny bones around. ;o) I hope the birds are restraining from their dive-bombing exercises on your house! Or perhaps it'd help if you start feeding them bread with Imodium in it.

I wonder if most people think they're quiet.
Hey, I think you're onto it there. The noisy folks probably are so used to making noises that they don't know how loud they really are. I'm tempted to blast a recording of Birgit Nilsson's Hojotoho! from the Valkyries back across the courtyard sometimes... but then I'd probably go deaf for it before they do.

Mike: "From Missouri"… befriends pigeons… beautifies sidewalks… and adores opera? Color me intrigued! Thanks for sharing. :-)
Arrggghhh! I knew I revealed too much in the piece! Now I'll have to grow facial hair just so the angry tenors and sopranos wouldn't be able to find me. ;o)

But you're too kind, Mike. You forgot the 'disastrous cook', and the 'has a weakness for feisty divas' parts.

Thanks very much for stopping by, mates! Hope your weekend has been a fun one.

5:17 pm PST

Hello T & Stock!
by smorg
stock: I enjoyed this even without knowing a lot about the music that you wrote about, I'm more of Frank and JOhnny Cash guy, although I can relate to loud neighbors, my neigbor walk me up this morning at 6:50 AM and I have been up since.. you have a nice writing style
Up at 6:50AM on a Sunday! How uncivilized!!

Hey, I love Johny Cash, too. And Old Blue Eyes is my mom's favorite (which means he is the whole house's favorite). ;o) There are actually some opera music that I still haven't been able to warm up to, too... Mainly, anything by Berg or Schoenberg... Thanks a bunch for dropping by and for your kind words! :o)

T: So you surround yourself (virtually, or involuntarily) by operatic divas! Very funny start to your day (and your essay), dahling!
Heh, heh. I hope my neighbor never runs into a voice coach who could teach her to breath properly or I'll just have to sound-proof my pad! ;o) The gal's got a naturally dramatic voice (so I'm grateful she can't hit anything above the stave yet). ;o)

T: Perhaps it's all that ubiquitous spam, official notices and sales pitches that have caused people to tire of dealing with email.
Perhaps you have it right there, mon amie. I wonder if the ease of it is allowing many of us to take things for granted more... and etiquette suffers.

T: thank you very much for the link to my Met at the Movies review! You're very clever (and kind) to have worked it into the piece - which should really be about YOU.
You're most welcome. And Thank You for that lovely write up!! (and, frankly, I was even more grateful for more excuses to veer out of telling more about me. A Smorg is a shy animal, see) ;o)

I really must catch the Eugene Onegin HD cast indeed. It is my favorite Russian opera. The musical bar is set high, tho... I happen to have the recording with Galina Vishnevskaya as Tatyana... and she is a formidable standard. I think Renee Fleming is singing Tatyana? Very curious to see what she'd do with that role since I had never heard her in a Russian piece before. :o)

Thanks again for stopping by, maties! Hope your weekend's been a good one.
5:03 pm PST

what
by ifif1938
a guy!!!to have missed a few minutes of Rick Steves in order to pick up litter certainly should get you points...I know it does in my book..:)

interesting reading..thanks for sharing your day
Barbara
4:52 pm PST

Lovely
by lyoness913
write-up and yet... I want to know more..

Summer :)
2:03 pm PST

Hey Smorgy,
by craftswoman
Funny review....you made me laugh: a blimp with legs. I've got 2 pidgeons that perch on my fence during the warmer weather. Their cooing is a very relaxing sound.

There are lots of birds around here in the summer and I don't mind them unless they practice their kamikazee maneuvers. Usually they pull out just in time but their fear of hitting my house tends to "decorate" my house with their "presents" if you know what I mean.

Wouldn't it be nice if developers could advertise housing as "for quiet people only" and then on another site, "for noisy people only." I wonder if most people think they're quiet.

Another great review, Mr. Mysterioso.

Marcy
9:57 am PST

"A day with smorg"...
by henry_thoreau

Mike
7:27 am PST

Good writing
by stockholder

you have a nice writing style

-stock
6:45 am PST

Hello, dear friend from SD!
by virtuelle2

I really don't understand why people can't be bothered just to acknowledge the email you send them, even if it's the easiest thing to hit Reply and type in a couple of words - and I don't do spam at all! Perhaps it's all that ubiquitous spam, official notices and sales pitches that have caused people to tire of dealing with email. But then you're a quick study, you write marvellously, and with such prolificacy (is that a word?)!

Oh, and thank you very much for the link to my Met at the Movies review! You're very clever (and kind) to have worked it into the piece - which should really be about YOU.

Thanks for the glimpse into a day with smorg. Your cat is a lucky creature to have you as master.

~ T.

PS. As you know, there are upcoming operas to be simulcast from the Met - Eugene Onegin, etc. - about one live performance every month. Hope you can catch them when they air!
5:21 am PST