Jenn-Air JGS8850BD Gas Kitchen Range

Jenn-Air JGS8850BD Gas Kitchen Range

ratings (1 Epinions review)

Control Panel Issues with fine Range

Jan 18, 2010 (Updated Jan 18, 2010)
  • User Rating: OK

Pros:Cooktop Burner Design
Convection mode
Warming Drawer

Cons:Control Panel Burnout
Lack of Oven Timer Shutoff
Auto ignite cooktop cleaning

The Bottom Line: I wish I could recommend this range but not until Jenn-Air fixes the control panel burnout issue.

I bought the Jenn-Air JGS8850BD several years ago as an upgrade to my existing Whirlpool gas range. The range gives a great appearance in Stainless Steel especially with the optional stainless steel backsplash. We would have opted for a wider range but the 30" model fit our existing kitchen space. I like that the four gas burners on the cooktop are all different sizes especially the front left which has a small ring burner for very low heat and a larger outer ring that can really generate some heat. Having four different burners allows for selecting the type of cooking control depending on the recipe or type of cook method.  I like the Convection Mode that allows for quicker cooking or lower heat energy savings. I wish the oven had a shutoff program timer. Instead it has a program that reduces the heat setting to warm and allows the oven to stay on.

The unfortunate feature of this range is the design of the range's Control Panel exposures the ribbon cable for the electronic control panel to the heat generated by the oven as the panel sits over the door opening. The control panel has burned out twice in 3 years costing $150 each time even under warranty as the parts are covered but not the service call to replace. The part is not hard to replace on your own but without warranty the part costs $200 as the control panel is imbedded in the range front panel. The auto light burners will sometimes not light if the spark ignitor has carbon buildup. Regular cleaning with a brass brush helps but this seems like it could be improved.