I am very happy with this car seat

Mar 19, 2010

Pros:Affordable, great quality, comfortable, easy to clean

Cons:Does not recline very far

The Bottom Line: This is a great choice when buying a toddler seat.  It is convertible, making it the last car seat you will have to buy.

When first buying this car seat, I was a little bit apprehensive because my granddaughter was just 14 months old and she was only about 18 pounds, so I couldn't put her in it to get an exact fit.  The car seat is made for infants and toddlers from 20-100 lbs., so we had to wait a little while before she was big enough to actually fit in it. It looked like the most sturdy and well made seat we could find for the price, so we bought it on a recommendation from the employee at Babies R Us.  When we got it home, my husband got it out of the box and looked everything over to make sure it was exactly what we wanted. We were very pleased with our purchase.
Assembly: The first thing we found that we really liked about the Graco Nautilus 3-in 1 Convertible Car Seat is that there was hardly any assembly.  The seat came completely installed other than the fact that we had to pop the head rest into place which took my husband about one minute to secure.  After that, we had to adjust the straps which was very easy. This was done by releasing a small latch and gently pulling on the strap until it reached the desired length.  Because we decided to forgo the rear facing car seat, we did buy two pillows to attach to the shoulder straps to help position our granddaughters head in the center of the seat. This also really helps when she is sleeping because the seat doesn't recline very far.  I would definitely recommend doing this for younger children. There are three straps.
Description: The fabric is a dark colored, airy textured fabric that is very easy to clean and does not hang on to odors.  We have had several juice and milk spills and it was very easy to clean up.  The padding used is very plush and feels very comfortable.  My granddaughter is in the car a lot and it was very important to me to get her something that she would be comfortable in. The plastic parts of the seat are very heavy duty and durable.  There is one large cup holder on the right side that is big enough to hold a bottle or a toddler cup with handles.  It is easy for my granddaughter to put her cup in and get it out on her own.  Also, there are small compartments in the handles so that if we need to store snacks or something in them we can keep them close and handy.  There are three straps that belt the seat into the car.  Two of the straps go on either side and have metal clips that attach to the ends.  And one goes over the back of the seat to keep it upright in case of a collision.  When putting the seat into the car, the straps can be tightened down until the car seat does not move if pulled or tugged on.  The car seat does recline, but not very much. I do wish that it was able to recline a bit more just for added comfort. The two shoulder straps attach in the middle with a plastic clip and then buckle into the bottom with the regular metal seat belt buckle.  There is a flap that goes beneath all of the buckles to protect the baby's stomach from any rubbing. The car seat does convert into two other car seats, which means it is the last car seat your child will need.  It goes into a seat with one shoulder strap similar to a regular seat belt, and then to a booster seat when you child is older.  We do not have any older grandchildren to try it on, but we did convert it just to make sure everything looked alright.  It was very easy to do, and it looked very safe and comfortable each way we tried it.
My Opinion: I am very pleased with the Graco Nautilus 3-in 1 Convertible Car Seat thus far.  We have loved everything about it, other than the fact that we wish it would recline just a bit more.  However, we did make up for that with the added pillows.  As I stated above, we have only used it in its first position, so I have no experience with it in the two converted positions, but from the looks of it, we will have no complaints.  I am very glad I bought this product. It is very nice to know that my granddaughter is safe and comfortable with all the traveling she has to do.  I would definitely recommend this car seat to anyone.