Pretty good for $75 (not so good otherwise)

Apr 2, 2010

Pros:Works, cheap, light, nice filters, good roller brush, good customer service, easy emptying.

Cons:Belt broke, short hose.

The Bottom Line: Buy it if you are poor and live in a small apartment.

My old vacuum cleaner was ten years old and ready to be retired.  I had bought it from Walmart.com for $150 and it had worked pretty well.  I saw this Bissell vacuum cleaner on Amazon.com for $75 (with free shipping with Amazon Prime) and thought it was a pretty good bargain.  It also had mostly good reviews from the Amazon reviewers.
Initially I was pleased with the Bissell.  It actually works in lifting materials off the floor (this sounds silly but some cheap vacuum cleaners fail to even do this).  It it very light (about half the weight of my old vacuum cleaner).  It has a number of different filters, some of them HEPA filters.  It is "bagless" and easy to empty.  It also has this nifty roller attachment (called a "TurboBrush") that you can attach to the hose for detailed vacuuming.
Within the first month of use, however, the rubber belt that spins the brush snapped.  I called the Bissell toll-free customer service number and they were polite and helpful and are sending me 2 new belts for free.  While I am waiting, I have been using the little "TurboBrush" to vacuum the floor.  This is when I discovered that the hose is ridiculously short (another problem).
Despite those complaints, however, it's still a pretty good deal for $75.  I would only get it if you are on a tight budget and live in a small apartment (like me).