Expensive but Excellent Toaster Oven

Apr 23, 2010

Pros:Well built, digital controls, even heating, many features, stainless look, clock & timer.

Cons:Exterior gets very hot, crumb tray removable from rear, door handle can burn, no light.

The Bottom Line: A well made and very versatile toaster oven from an excellent company with a generous warranty. Performs very well, but is a bit expensive. Handsome looking. Digital controls.

I haven’t owned a toaster oven in more than 20 years, but at the insistence of my wife who felt she needed one, I purchased the Cuisinart TOB-195. I have been using this toaster/oven/broiler for several months and the following is my review of this overall excellent machine.

I have owned Cuisinart products in the past and found them to be very satisfactory for the most part. I have owned the Griddler, a coffee bean grinder, a coffee pot and a mixer. Except for the mixer, which I found to be inferior to the KitchenAid, these products performed well and lasted a long time. Cuisinart is usually more expensive across all products than comparable brands, but in the case of the TOB-195 I fel that the extra expense is well worth it.

The TOB-195 is touted as all stainless, even though most of the exterior is really chrome that is brushed to look like stainless. The front door panel and handle is stainless. The power output is 1500 watts. There is a removable crumb tray but it has to be removed from the back. I believe this is a design flaw because you have to wait till the unit is cool and then swing it around on the counter to remove the tray for cleaning. There is a timer and adjustable temperatures, although the adjustments move in 25 degree increments. There is also a toast darkness control and a bake/broil capability. The oven can also be used on convection bake, but the convection fan is a bit noisy. There is no interior light, but I do not know of any other toaster/ovens that have such a light. There are cord storage brackets mounted on the rear. The unit measures almost 18 inches long by 16 inches deep and 9.5 inches high. The unit comes with a 3-year limited warranty, but you have to send the unit to Cuisinart with a $10. check to cover return postage.

The interior capacity is rated at .6 cubic feet and it is quite large inside compared to many other brands. The toaster comes with a stainless wire rack which can be positioned in three different ways depending on what and how you are cooking or toasting. It also comes with a broiler pan and rack, also in stainless. The machine is operated with touchpad controls with LED lights and there is a LCD display for time, temperature, etc. The interior has some kind of no-stick enamel finish that is fairly easy to keep clean.

The patented Exact Heat sensor does seem to maintain fairly accurate oven temperatures. The oven has an automatic shut-off after 4 hours but does not automatically shut off at the end of cooking. However a fairly loud buzzer sounds to alert you that the cooking time has been reached. The toasting button offers 4-6 slice option and there is a bagel, a reheat and a defrost button. I have tried them all and they seem to work very well. The oven rack has 2 positions and there is a safety stop when using one of them. The owner’s manual is well laid out and it includes various recipes.

The toaster/oven boasts that it can hold a 12 inch pizza, but a 12 inch pizza usually comes on a slightly larger tray and if the tray is larger than 12 inches, it will not fit. The unit gets very hot when in use and you must be careful when grasping the door handle because the door frame is very hot and can burn your knuckles if grasped with the palm down. You have to get used to grasping the handle with the palm up to avoid burns. The oven door also has a partial open stop to be used when broiling, such as with a conventional oven. Cuisinart recommends that you unplug the toaster/oven when not in use because it does consume some electricity, but I think this is too inconvenient to do. Besides, you would have to reset the clock each time you plug it in. There is also a warning about overloading a circuit so it is recommended that you do not use any other heavy draw appliances on the same circuit as the toaster/oven. This is good advice.

In the time that I have owned this appliance I have used it for toasting (breads, muffins, bagels etc.), baking (pizzas, potatoes, cake, frozen entrees, etc.) and broiling (small steaks, fish, etc.) and I find that this appliance does most chores as well or better than my standard range/oven. Cleanup is easy (except for the crumb tray) and the foods maintain their juciness and flavor. I paid $158. for this appliance at Amazon.com, but if you are not concerned with the total “stainless” look, you can get one at Costco which has a stainless front and a black painted metal on the top and sides. Other than the difference in color, the units are identical and the one at Costco sells for $99.