If you're in college, this may be for you.

Jun 8, 2010

Pros:Pleasant Fougere

Cons:Sophmoric effort from Calvin Klein

The Bottom Line: This is the quintessential "declare your major" fragrance.

Eternity for men is one of several "fresh" fougeres to come out of the late 1980s, and to minimize any subversive influences in my review, I should admit right away that I am biased against the general category as a whole. I never thought much of "fresh" fougeres, mainly because I don't really know what they're trying to be. Certainly fresh, but that's not all . . . and the rest eludes me.

With that out of the way, I can say that this is certainly not a bad fragrance. I find it to be more interesting that its close relative in "fresh" fougere-dom, the derivative-spawning and infamous Cool Water. Eternity is also one of the better of the CK lineup. The nose behind it is Carlos Benaim, and apparently his strategy was to take the original Eternity, re-fashion it into a new women's fragrance, and advise the head honchos over at CK headquarters to double their money by giving it the same name and slapping "for men" on the packaging. Using a very complex and synthetic-smelling formula of lavender and citrus on top, jasmine and spices in the middle, and sandalwood in the base, the result is something with fair to middling complexity, good projection, and admirable longevity.

Unfotunately, there's something a little too youthful about Eternity for men. Although I could see a mature woman wearing it, I have a difficult time seeing any male over the age of 24 pulling this off. The impression it gives is one of an aspirational fragrance - something that exudes confidence and a not-so subtle awareness of how good a guy can smell, if only he had another $40 to spend. Meanwhile, it settles for being good, while acknowledging that anything related to it is much better, and a further bus ride off campus.