Cuisinart SmartStick makes quick easy work of soups and smoothies

Aug 5, 2010

Pros:Easy to use, easy to clean, stainless steel, dishwasher safe

Cons:costly at $50 or more

The Bottom Line: Must have for smoothies

A few months ago I had to get a new stick blender to replace my trusty (and inexpensive) Hamilton Beach Turbo Twister Stick blender. The problem was that the attachments weren't dishwasher safe, and accidently went thru the dishwasher. At first it seemed to be OK, but what happened was very disgusting and food and water became trapped inside the stem of the stick - unable to be removed.  So, I went out in search of a new stick/immersion blender that might be slightly more durable.  I chose the Cuisinart Smartstick, which is a stainless steel appliance - and put it on my "wishlist".  When I received it - I was thrilled. It is over $50 and worth every cent of it.

The Cuisinart SmartStick is no wimpy stick blender. It is a sturdy brushed stainless steel appliance. In addition to the stick blender, it comes with a whisk and a chopper attachment as well as a mixing beaker/measurer cup that is just perfect for smoothies.  Simply scoop in the yogurt, fresh fruit, protein powder, veggies (shhhhhh..) and whatever else you need into the 2 cup container and then blend it away using the stick attachment.  When done, pop the stick attachment off and load both the attachment and the measuring cup into the top rack of the dishwasher.  I use it all the time for smoothies for my kids - almost daily.  You do need be mindful of is how high you fill the container (do not over fill it). Also, I have noticed that if I press too far down on the stick blender to the bottom of the container it seems to create a bit of a suction. After using it a few times you'll get the hang of it in terms how much pressure to apply, and the need to hold onto the mixing beaker.

In addition to making smoothies, I also use it for whipping potatoes, pureeing fruit and fixing soups.  All of these things can be done by using the SmartStick right in the pot on the stove - saving on dishes. The SmartStick is corded, so you do need to be close by an outlet when using this. If you are using it directly in a pot on the stove - you'll need to take care and be mindful of the cord and for safety reasons remember to turn off the heat on the burner.

The attachment that I use the least is the chopper, but that is because I have a different kitchen chopper that I pull out on rare occasions - most of the time, I do it the old fashioned way using a knife.

My SmartStick has become one of my "go-to" appliances. If you want to make smoothies, soups, sauces and purees - this is the quick and easy way. I love that it takes up less space than a food processor (it is only about a foot long with an attachment in place) meaning that it is easy to store.  Also because it is handheld I feel like I have better control over how thick or thin it is blending or pureeing my foods. My son prefers a thicker smoothie and my daughter likes a thinner - runny one - with the "jar blender" it was hard to see the consistency and not friendly towards making small amounts. The stick blender is perfect for making single serving smoothies however thick or thin you want them.

For more info: