Overpriced, poor value

Aug 8, 2010

Pros:None

Cons:Cheap construction, poor controls, expensive.

The Bottom Line: Don't buy this product if you have any alternative.

I purchased this oven with trim kit to replace a 1.6 cu ft GE that died.  I could not find another GE with a trim kit to fit the space for the oven.  Overall, the KitchenAid is far inferior to the GE.  The venting for the trim kit is a piece of junk, attaches to the side of the oven where it interfers with the installation and ability to center the oven in the available space, and uses double sided tape to secure the side and top ducting to the oven.  What a joke.  I had to take tin snips to modify the the duct before I could install the oven, and use aluminum duct tape to secure the top duct to the oven and seal the side duct.  The GE vented from the rear and over the top of the oven, and used much heavier sheet metal with good installation setup.

The GE had more control options and a larger (14 inch) turntable compared to the KitchenAid (12 inch).  GE had 6 single touch buttons plus an add 30 sec button.  KitchenAid has only an add 1 minute button which will add two minutes if you're not careful how you push it.

All this and the comparable GE ovens cost significantly less than the KitchenAid.  I hope when this KitchenAid dies, which may not take too long judging from some of the other reviews, that I am able to replace it with another GE.  In any case, I know I will not be buying another KitchenAid.  I wouldn't recommend this over even for use on a countertop.