Your Local Mothers of Twins and Triplets Club

Jun 20, 2008

The Bottom Line You can read all the "what to expect" books you want but nothing is more helpful than others who've been-there, done-that.

When my oldest son was only three months old I found out I was pregnant again. Scared and nervous I went to see my doctor. To our surprise the doctor told us that we were expecting TWINS! We were both floored! Four weeks later at our follow-up appointment, they couldn't find the heartbeats so they performed another ultrasound. The doctor looked rather confused as she watched the monitor and scanned my belly. She asked me how many babies I was expecting and I proudly told her TWO! She then responded with, "well, I'm not an ultrasonographer, but I think I see three..." At which point she turned the monitor towards me and scanned over again...one...two....THREE!???
Indeed there were three babies. Even more nervous and scared as to how we were going to handle raising three kids I searched around until I came across the National Organization of Mothers of Twins Club. I located my local club in Valley Forge, Pa and soon joined the club for a mere $25. From the first meeting until now the club has been such a fantastic resource for so many reasons. The club meets once a month. The meetings are filled with MOMs of twins and triplets and they discuss special-interest topics(financing, food prep. etc), club events, and other informative sessions.
In addition to the monthly meetings the club members provided my new family and I meals for the first two weeks after the babies came home and again almost a year later when I came home from the hospital after gallbladder surgery.
The club hosts play dates, arts and craft get togethers, MOMs night out, family days, clothing drives(which when you have multiples helps you get rid of TONS of unnecessary clutter) dad's night out,charity events, basket bingos, and so much more! The club also has it's own yahoo group that allows members to vent, share advice, funny stories, and more.
Although I do not get to go to the meetings I have found that the yahoo group, and the MOMs who are part of it, have been there for me in times when I thought I was going to have a nervous break down handling my "irish-quads". The advice,support, guidance and suggestions I've received has been priceless!
You can read all the "what to expect" books you want but nothing, in my opinion, is more helpful than others who have been-there, done-that. If you're expecting or even if you have multiples already, I urge you to seek out your local multiples group! You're multiples are never to old to throw something new at you!!

Member: Bonnie Eckstein