2007 Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling: Great Taste for a Low Price

by
Aug 31, 2008

The Bottom Line This is a great tasting Riesling wine offered for an unbeatable price.

Wine products are produced in several key areas of the United States and while wineries are found in most states, there are several that have climate advantages that make them better for grape- growing than others. California leads the way, but several other states have a thriving wine industry and offer some very good wine products. One product that is very good- tasting and agreeable is 2007 Chateau St. Michelle Riesling, a vintage wine from Washington’s Columbia Valley.

Basic Characteristics of This Wine:

Light yellow in color, 2007 Chateau St. Michelle Riesling offers a scent of apricot with a touch of melon. This wine is perfectly clear and based on appearance seems thin in body, with no legs or lacing of any kind.

Tasting 2007 Chateau St. Michelle Riesling yields a pleasing combination of fruit flavors like pear, peach, apricot, and cantaloupe with a brief period of dryness in the finish that fades away slowly. This wine is a little fuller in body than its appearance indicates but it is still light enough for easy drinking enjoyment.

Looking at the official statistics on 2007 Chateau St. Michelle Riesling turns up an acidic level of 0.66 g/100 ml and a ph of 3.05. The alcohol level in this wine is 12.0 percent by volume.

Final Thoughts:

2007 Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling is a vintage Riesling from one of Washington State’s foremost wineries. This winery boasts itself as the founding winery in Washington and it has bottled many vintage and award- winning wines during itas many years in existence.

2007 Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling is a very pleasant and satisfying Riesling from this popular winery and it ranks among the better wines I have sampled from Chateau Ste. Michelle. I like its softer approach and combination of different fruits with a touch of mineral water. The taste is sweet overall, but not sticky sweet in any way. There is a touch of dryness in the finish but it doesn’t last very long. It switches back to a sweet sensation that lingers in the long, pleasant, fruity aftertaste.

This wine is similar to other white wines I have sampled but one way it differs is its lack of oak or other wood- like flavors so common with wines aged in barrels. I have nothing against wine manufactured in this manner, but it is nice to taste one that isn’t so inundated with the flavor of oak. I’m not sure how Chateau Ste. Michelle ages this wine, but it is obviously not aged in oak.

2007 Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling isn’t a very assertive wine. It doesn’t overwhelm the senses with its presence and it doesn’t shock or surprise in any way. One exception would be the price. At only eight dollars per 750 ml bottle, 2007 Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling is very tough to beat economically. When I saw the price tag I wondered whether this wine would be very good, but I trusted my instincts and purchased it anyway due to the fact that it was a Chateau Ste. Michelle product and I had always had positive experiences with its wines in the past. There are certainly better Riesling wines on the market, but it is difficult to find one with this type of quality priced less than ten dollars a bottle.

Overall, 2007 Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling is a wine I will be buying again, and that says a lot coming from someone who doesn’t normally drink wine. I like the fruity bouquet and the medium to light taste that leans toward the sweet side but isn’t too sugary or cloying. I’m going to give 2007 Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling a rating of 4 out of 5 stars and give it an easy recommendation. Its quality is very good and for a price this low, it’s a Riesling that is very difficult to top.

Member: Bryan Carey