Movies That Make You Want to Move
Dec 14, 2008 Write an essay on this topic.
The Bottom Line Ten ultimate films that want to make you dance in your seat.
1. Dirty Dancing (1987) - Frankly, I don't know how you could NOT have Dirty Dancing in the best dance films of all time. When people are asked to name one of their favorite 80's films, they are bound to mention Dirty Dancing. Richie girl Baby meets poorboy dancer Patrick Swayze at a summer getaway on the East Coast in the 60's. When Baby volunteers to fill in for the female dancer, she falls in love with her partner and trainer - Patrick Swayze. Though the two often fought in real life, their onscreen chemistry and dance scenes are electric.
2. Save the Last Dance (2001) - Julia Stiles is a sheletered White high school-aged ballet dancer who moves to South Chicago following her mother's death to live with her estranged father. She soon befriends and falls in love with an African-American teenager at her new school who shows her the ropes of hip-hop. This film has many faults but many of the dance scenes are enticing, particularly the final audition scene.
3. Chicago (2003) - Probably one of the best acted and directed musicals stars flappers Renee Zellweger as Roxie Hart and Catherine Zeta-Jones as Velma Kelly. Hart and Kelly who find themselves in jail after murdering their husbands. The fun and roaring 20's begin right with the opening credits til the ending credits. Richard Gere and John C. Reilly costar as equally talented dancers and singers. Favorite dance sequence - the "He Had It Comin'" scene in prison a third of the way through.
4. Saturday Night Fever (1977) - John Travolta's breakout role as a disco dancing stud in the 70's really needs no explanation. Though disco died decades ago, the Bee Gees soundtrack 'stays alive'.
5. Footloose (1984) - Old school Kevin Bacon moves into a small conservative town where rock and roll is considered sinful. He shakes up the town with his fast paced footwork. I love the scene where he trains his no-rhythm friend.
6. Dancer in the Dark (2002) - Lars Von Trier's dreary story of a European immigrant going blind is not something you may imagine on a dancing movies list. Much of the choreography and music of the film is interwoven by sounds of everyday life - factories, homes, trains, etc. Bjork (in her now stated only film role) does a wonderful job capturing the innocence and gracefulness of a victimized single mom trying to live her dream of starring in a musical.
7. The Full Monty (1997) - The cult favorite of five working class Englishmen who try to win prize money by doing the 'full monty' is a hilarious and fun film. With a classic soundtrack from the 70's and 80's and the fact that five older and homely men face their own self-confidences bring fun and romp to the film.
8. Coyote Ugly (2000) - A guilty pleasure film about a young girl from Jersey who moves into the heart of New York has some fun dancing sequences where women bartending at "Coyote Ugly" dance and entertain on the bar counters.
9. Mad Hot Ballroom (2005) - Every year a New York school district puts on a ballroom dancing contest for their fourth or fifth graders. This documentary has some cute and impressive dancing from the children involved.
10. Across the Universe (2007) - This wonderful musical mixed with a blend of talented actor-singer-dancers who sing covers of Beatles songs has great choreography and makes you sing and dance throughout.
|Write the first comment on this review!|