Great photo/video monitor

Oct 14, 2010

Pros:Accurate, high resolution, great price when compared to other models

Cons:Hardware brightness does not go very low, no OSD options

The Bottom Line: If you are looking for a large monitor in the IPS market, this monitor is a great buy.

After being less than satisfied with my 24" NEC Tn monitor and 21" Samsung Tn monitor, I decided to research some IPS monitors. I narrowed it down to the Dell and this HP model and finally went with the HP ZR30w.

Upon opening the package I knew this monitor was going to rock. It has a MUCH nicer finish than your typical HP products and felt very solid. There is a DL-DVI port and a full size displayport connection on the bottom side. The only front controls are power, brightness +/- and source.

After installing my new video card and figuring out the connections I wanted to go with, I fired up my Color Munki calibration and put the monitor in a color corrected state. I then ran some various pattern/color tests on the monitor and was amazed with the quality. Side by side with my old 24" monitor, there was no banding in the primary color gradient tests. This monitor was spot on with reproduction across all levels.

I have started to use this monitor with both Adobe Lightroom and Premiere Pro and the images are amazing. It is a little different working with such an accurate monitor as I never experienced such bliss before.