Whirlpool Cabrio Electric Dryer WED6200S

Whirlpool Cabrio Electric Dryer WED6200S

ratings (2 Epinions reviews)

Problem with the door latch breaking

Nov 20, 2010 (Updated Nov 20, 2010)
  • User Rating: Disappointing

Pros:Drys clothes well enough

Cons:Door latch repeatedly breaking

The Bottom Line: I would not recommend this dryer to others because of the problem with the door latch.

When you close the door of the Cabrio dryer, a metal latch set inside the door clamps onto a pin sticking out of the dryer.  Inside the door, the metal latch is held in place by a plastic bracket.

About 6 months after we got the dryer, the plastic bracket broke, allowing the metal latch to move out of position.  As a result, we couldn't close the dryer door without manually re-positioning the metal latch every time.

I took the door apart, removed the latch and bracket from their housing and glued the plastic bracket back together.  this worked for another couple months until the bracket broke again.

I took the door off again and, this time, noticed that there is another latch and bracket on the hinge side of the door, which don't serve any apparent purpose.  I took that spare bracket off and used it to replace the broken one.  But, within a month, that bracket had broken.

The dryer is fine other than for this recurring problem, but it is an annoying one.  Taking the door apart to get to the latch/bracket housing, then putting it back together, and remounting it on the dryer takes at least 45 minutes.  With both brackets now broken I'm going to the hardware store to try and find something that will hold the latch in place long-term.