Great Entry Level Professional Camera

Dec 12, 2010

Pros:20x zoom, 28mm wide angle, solid build, features, face detection, resolution, price

Cons:takes AA batteries

The Bottom Line: This camera has been a great investment.  It is great for the weekend warrior or someone looking to get into photography professionally.

This is a great entry level professional camera for the photographers going from a point and shoot to a digital SLR.  My first day out I could see an amazing difference in the quality of photos I was taking.  On a hike at 0830 hrs, I took a picture of the still visible moon. I could make out the craters on the moon surface, the picture was so clear.  It comes with many features that I had to get used to but with a little practice you will have no problem switching among them to get the best picture. The LCD viewing screen is quite large and pivots so that you may view what you are shooting from different angles.  I have learned that in low light conditions, if you are shooting still objects, to use the TV option.  You can adjust the shutter speed very easily.  I took a picture in almost complete darkness but it looked like daytime due to the shutter being opened for an extended period of time.

The setup and feature menus are very easy to use and there are many options.  You will have to play with it alittle to find what works with you.  The weight of the camera is great, the weight will come when you had lens.

The only con is that the camera takes AA batteries.  If you get this camera, invest in rechargable batteries.  Otherwise, you will go through an 8-pack in a day.