Big money, great washer.

Jan 15, 2011 (Updated Jan 18, 2011)

Pros:Nuclear reactor coolness

Cons:Nuclear reactor complexity (and cost)

The Bottom Line: Terminator of the washer line. :)

We finally decided to upgrade our aging top loader that we got when we first bought our house. It had worked well but did flood our basement when the water level sensor got disconnected . . .  (whee).

We decided to go to the top of the line LG. Basically we feel that if you have to spend a lot of money you should get the best that you can. Sure you can get more "value" but when you have to do something that you don't want to do (like laundry), wouldn't it be nice to have something that could land the space shuttle to help you. Seriously; this washing machine probably has more computing horsepower than the space shuttle.

This is a state of the art, front loading, and high efficiency dirty clothes terminator. I can't even begin to describe the number of different modes that this washer can do. This thing can wash blankets and then do hand wash wool items. There seems to be a mode for every wash possibility.

Sure it is a bit complicated; but then how would you handle having a separate section for detergent, softener, bleach, and pre-wash in the drawer for additives.

I would seriously consider spending some time reading the manual so you can take advantage of all the features of the killer machine.

As a front loader this uses a lot less water than a traditional top-loader. This is very typical for front loaders, they are very popular in Europe. It has some additional steam features that allow you to apply NSF standard disinfection to clothes, like bed sheets, to truly make them clean. This can be great for pet dander and other allergens.

One thing that is pretty cool is that it is VERY quiet. By far the noisiest thing is the water flow from the detergent dispenser. Our old washer made quite the "chug-chug" sound while it was cleaning the clothes. This one is almost as quiet as our Bosch dishwasher, which is quite a compliment.

One really cool thing that you can play with is that the motor on the drum can act as a generator. If you manually spin the drum you can "wake up" the system even if the washer is unplugged, not very useful, but pretty cool to a 9 year old.

I am concerned about durability, but Home Depot offers an extended warranty for only $100. When you are spending over $1000, it can be a deal. Consumer Reports rates the LG brand excellent and it feels very well built.

UPDATE

After doing lots of different loads, that's what happens when you can't do laundry for a week, I would like to leave some more thoughts.

This model has a 4.8 cubic feet capacity. Which is very large for a front loader. We were able to wash a complete set of king size bedding; bottom fitted sheet, top sheet all the pillow cases and some bath towels, in one load. One neat feature is that when you run a load the washer does a quick back and forth spin for a bout a 1/2 minute and tells you how "full" the drum is with a bar scale. With all the king bedding and some towels we were at about 4/5 full. In the instruction manual they mention leaving a fist size gap with the top of the drum when loading a lot of clothes.

This washer is extreemly quiet. When the drum is at top spin speed of 1400 rpm you can tell it is spinning, but it is not nearly as loud as our old top loader. During the wash cycle you can't even tell it is on. I had to turn on the drum light to verify it was turning. I think it would be comparable to a quiet refridgerator when the compressor is running. One thing I remember from our old top loader washer was the "klunk" when it switched modes like wash to drain to spin. This LG is silent, the noisest thing is the water circulating in the additive drawer to get the detergent. You can definitly hear the water running.

After running the full cycle with the default settings we have found the clothes are reasonably dry. I think they are a bit more dry than our old top loader, you certainly can't wring any water out of them by hand. I don't have any other front loaders to compare but I would have to think it is good.

One cool feature is that it will tell you exacly how long the cycle will take and how much energy it will use. Also there is a nice chime when the cycle is done, not the annoying BUZZZZ that the old washer had.

Overall we are VERY impressed with this washer.

Bradman