Functional all-in-one with duplex printing

May 2, 2011

Pros:Dupex printing, inexpensive, toner separately refillable from drum.

Cons:no duplex scanning, less robust than prior Brother models (planned obsolecence).

The Bottom Line: Duplex is the way to go.

We purchased a unit for a small office, and have about one year experience with the unit.  We're set up with the device on the network (no USB or parallel port is in use).  And we use all parts of the unit: fax, scanner, printer, double-sided printer. The price and features are right on this model.  It is a bit taller than you might imagine, so check to be sure you have enough space.  The unit is fast, energy effecient, and reasonable to set up. Print to fax is a highly appreciated feature... resulting in much better quality documents at the far end.
Linux, OS X and Windows are supported. However, the print queue on our our 64-bit Windows computers occasionally stop functioning. Restarting the driver does nothing -- we have to reboot.
Duplex scanning is not supported, so even though you can save paper at printing time, you'd better hope nobody sends you a long two sided document.

Physical construction seems typical for recent Brother models (meaning more plastic and probably lower life than the older workhorses).  I'd rather pay a bit more for a unit that will last a few extra years.  I'm also worried a bit about the drivers: at 46 megabytes that's a lot of bloat for an older PC.  I wish for a much more basic package with just the minimum drivers needed.