Memorex MiniMove Ipod Dock. Decent ipod station

May 24, 2011

Pros:Cheap, sounds great, easily portable, uses standard batteries.

Cons:wimpy remote and wimpy warranty (90 days).

The Bottom Line: Great device for the cost ($25)

We bought this Memorex MiniMove iPod Dock for portable use when we wanted to carry around a small sound system for our iPod.    For that purpose it does a great job.

I also bought one for my father so he could play his iPod at his recliner on the table beside him and not take up too much room.  It works great for that.

Purchase/Cost:
We picked this up at the "Black Friday Sale" (day after Thanksgiving) for $25 each.   So it's a great value for the amount paid.

Power:
This unit runs on 4 AA batteries or an AC adapater that comes with it.   Battery life seems decent, but these devices also charge your iPod, so that can affect battery life some.   (just something to consider overall).     If you're running on battery, I highly suggest removing your iPod when not using.  I'm not sure if it charges the iPod when powered off or not.  But if it does, it'll eat your batteries.

Features:
This unit will play most iPods.  I've used it with an iPhone, a 3rd generation iPod Nano, and a 5th generation iPod Nano.  It also has a FM radio that I didn't think reception was the greatest on, but works.   It comes with a very small & limited remote control.

It has a carrying handle that extends upwards.    What I like about this is that it protects the ipod from being knocked out as easily by someone setting somethig on it.

Controls:
The controls are limited, but they do the job.  Allow you to skip to the next song, change the channel (FM radio) and volume.  The remote that came with is is somewhat limited also.  But not bad for the cost.

Sound:

The sound is pretty decent.  It's not as nice as my $300 Bose iPod docking station, but considering it's battery powered and cost $25 bucks, I'm quiet happy with the sound.

Warranty:
I've not had any problems with ours but it's also had limited use.  However, it only comes with a 90 day manufacturer warranty.   In my opinion, this warranty period is "too short" and implies that they don't have faith their product will hold up to use more than 90 days.     Perhaps this is because it's portable and some folks don't take care of portable sound/boom-box devices like they should.

I thought noting the short warranty was important for purchasers as I typically don't like buying products that don't have a decent warranty.

So far the warranty isn't an issue.   We have 5 months weekly use on one and limited use on our 2nd one.

Overall Summary:
So far so good.    I'd buy one again for $25 if I needed another one.   it's a good sounding machine and a good value for the money