The most comfortable and portable headphone in the world but it doesn't perform well

Jun 9, 2011 (Updated Jun 10, 2011)

Pros:Super comfortable, portable, great for travelling, cancels noises!

Cons:need an AAA battery to operate it, expensive and it makes clicking noises, poor bass

The Bottom Line: Super comfortable, portable, great for traveling, cancels noises!. Buy it if you are going to use it only for travelling. It's not worth $299!

Why did I buy the Bose QC15?

I was looking for a super high quality headphone and I tried the Bose QC15 at our local Best Buy and I was extremely amazed by how comfortable it is on my ears when I put it on!

The second thing that I noticed was the ability to cancel noise! They have a noise maker next on the Bose Display and I could see the difference before and after I use the Bose QC15 headphone.

Eventhough the price tag was $299, I decided to buy it! It is quite expensive for a headphone!

In this review I will be comparing the Bose QC15 and the Audio-Technica ATH-A700 Headphones. You can read my review on the Audio-Technica ATH-A700 Headphones. Anyway, let's get started!

What do I like about the Bose QC15?

1. The Size and Weight

The Bose QC15 is PERFECT for travelling! The size is very compact and it comes with a very nice carrying case. It folds very nicely and it is pretty light. If you like to travel, this headphone is perfect! I recommend this headphone for frequent travellers.

2. The Comfort Level

This headphone is extremely comfortable. The quality of leather on the ear cups is extremely good. It is comfortable, plush and soft. My ears love the ear cups. I love the way the headphone wrapped around my head, the arc is wrapped in soft leather and it feels great! I think, the Bose QC15 is the most comfortable headphone in the world!

3. Superb noise cancelling feature.

Bose doesn't lie when they claim that this headphone cancels noises. The Bose QC15 ability to cancel the noises outside the ear cups is superb! I can't really hear anything much once I turn the noise cancelling feature. I hate the noise of the airplane engine, this headphone will solve that problem. It blocks the airplane engine noise! It even blocks the noises from the outside of my condo. It is pefect if you travel a lot in an airplane and live in an apartment or condo!

4. The sound quality

The sound quality is superb! This headphone really produces high quality sound but if you like bass. The QC15 doesn't produce rich deep bass sound.

5. It is very sturdy and durable

The Bose QC15 is quite sturdy and durable! I had a Jaguar XJR and a Hyundai Sonata. When I touch the Bose QC15, it feels like I touch the Jaguar body! You know that you own a super expensive headphone! I like the way it folds when you step on it accidentally, it will reduce the chance of breaking it.

6. It comes with a nice carrying case and accessories.

I love the carrying case! It is a super durable case that protects the expensive headphone and it comes with accessories like 3.5MM splitter. It also comes with the Airline adapter.

What I did not like about the Bose QC15

After I used it for 1 week, I had to return my Bose QC15 because of the following reasons:

1. You need an AAA battery in order to use it and the battery life is very short on heavy use!

Bose claims that the average battery life is 35 hours! It is not true! 35 hours maybe if it is not being used all the time.

If you intend to use it a lot, the battery life of the Bose QC15 is very short! Mine died after 8 hours of constant use. You have to have an AAA battery in order to use the QC15! Once the battery is dead, you are out of luck if you don't have AAA extra batteries.

I have to make it very clear before you decide to buy one "YOU CAN NOT USE THE QC15 without an AAA battery!"  It will not produce any sound without the AAA battery because this is a battery operated headphone.

2. It makes annoying clicking noises 2 to 3 hours before the battery dies!

This clicking sound will drive you crazy! It will last for 2 to 3 hours before the AAA goes completely dead. The clicking sound drove me crazy then, I became angry when the battery died because I couldn't use the headphone anymore once the battery was dead! I had to always carry extra batteries!

3. The price is extremely expensive.

I was hoping that after paying $299 for a headphone, it would perform extremely well but it didn't! I think, the Bose QC15 is not worth $299! Save your money and buy a cheaper headphone.

4. The bass sound quality is weak.

If you like a good rich bass sound quality, the QC15 will not make you happy. It feels muddy and weak.  Buy the Audio-Technica  ATH-A700 if you love bass.

5. The 3 ft cable too is short and is detachable

I had to buy an extension cable from Best Buy because the 3 ft cable is short. I think, Bose designed this headphone for travelling and not for home entertainment use.

The most annoying part is that the cable is detachable and it kept getting disconnected from the head set when I accidentally moved my arm and pulled the cable. I had to keep reconnecting it!

Will I recommend this headphone?

Yes, if you do a lot of travelling because it is light, the size is compact and it comes with very nice and durable case but if you intend to use it a lot forget it!

I don't recommend it if you are going to use it for daily home entertainment because you will need a lot of AAA batteries to operate the headphone! It is not good for the environment, because you have to constantly use an AAA battery in order to use the headphone.

I think, when people pay $299 for the QC15, they are only paying for the Bose brand because the QC15 price should be within the $100 to $200 price range.

This is the test result:

Conclusion

Audio-Technica  ATH-A700  VS Bose QC15

- Size (Bose QC15 Wins!)
- Portable and easy for travelling (Bose QC15 Wins!)
- Battery life (Since Audio-Technica  ATH-A700 doesn't use battery, Audio-Technica  ATH-A700 wins!)
- Noise cancelling (Bose QC15 Wins!)
- Comfort level (Both Audio-Technica  ATH-A700 and Bose QC15 Wins!)
- Price (Audio-Technica  ATH-A700 wins!)
- Quality and durability (Both Audio-Technica  ATH-A700 and Bose QC15 Wins!)
- Quality of Sound (Audio-Technica  ATH-A700 wins!)
- Bass Quality (Audio-Technica  ATH-A700 wins!)

Anyway, I hope this review is helpful in making your buying decision.