Announcing the 'Tis the Season Write-Off

by
Sep 15, 2011 (Updated Jan 7, 2012)

The Bottom Line Join me in celebrating the upcoming holidays!

After I graduated from college in 2003, I got a job at a bookstore in the mall.  Since then, every fall has been marked by the opening of its calendar kiosks, so by mid-September I am accustomed to being surrounded by constant reminders that the end of the year is approaching.  Except this year, since my store was a Borders Express.  Now that it's gone, I'm no longer a calendar girl.  I must say that I don't mind too much, since I suspect that my standing in the middle of hundreds of 2012 calendars would prompt an annoying number of queries as to whether I think the world is going to end next year, and I'm pretty sure that would get old fast.  However, it feels very odd to me not to be immersed in that year-end atmosphere, so I thought I'd kick off the Christmas season a little early here.

Yes, I can hear most of you groaning from here.  But my brother, who works at an arts and crafts store, has been putting up Christmas displays for weeks.  Hallmark's been gearing up since July.  I know of at least a couple musicians releasing Christmas albums in the next month or so, and if I were still in the bookstore, it wouldn't be long before I started to see the new selection of Christmas picture books begin to arrive.  Reading as many of those new stories as I can and reviewing them has become one of my favorite late fall traditions.  I also find that these types of reviews get great traffic in November, so I try to get an early start every year.

Hence, I am announcing the 'Tis the Season Write-off, which I intend to run through January 6, just to give everyone a little extra time to review all those season-specific gifts they received at the end of the year.  Obviously I have Christmas on the brain, so anything related to my favorite day of the year, whether it's books, movies, music, ornaments, decorations, toys, food or anything else you can think of, is welcome.

However, I'm not trying to rush past everything else with my little jump start.  Therefore, I also welcome reviews relating to Columbus Day, Halloween, Veterans' Day, Thanksgiving, St. Nicholas' Day, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and any other holiday that falls between now and Epiphany.  If you want to include a goofy holiday like Talk Like a Pirate Day, that's a-okay by me too.  One of the reasons I love this time of year so much is that it feels so festive, with so many reasons to celebrate.

I'm happy to accept Writers' Corner pieces, and I encourage cross-posting with other write-offs.  (I also hope this won't dissuade anyone from starting a write-off with a more specific holiday slant.)  There are several occurring right now, including Talyseon's It's Elementary, My Dear Watson! Mystery Write-Off, Krial's Nostalgia Write-Off and Carstairs38's All Things Disney Write-Off.  If you want to join mine, simply add the link at the bottom of your review and leave me a comment here or drop me an e-mail and I'll link you up.

Hope you participate, and I look forward to reading your entries.  Now if you'll pardon me, I have a string of sleigh bells to dig out of the attic...

Wrapping up with 17 participants with a total of 209 entries.  Big thanks to everybody who joined in, especially Christmas Music Connaisseur John, Hallmark Ornament Maven Mark and Obscure Holiday Expert Kelly.  May your days be merry and bright!

Befus (8)

Books: Christmas Tapestry

Advent:
Books: God Is in the Manger

Christmas:
Books: Stick Man * Gingerbread Cookie Murder * The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey * How the Grinch Stole Christmas * A Christmas Memory
Movies: Muppet Christmas Carol

Bilbopooh (51)

Assorted:
Books: A Child's Year * The Adventures of Guy Noir: Radio Private Eye * Home for the Holidays
Movies: The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad

Books: Peace Is a Circle of Love

Rosh Hashana:
Music: Book of Good Life - The Maccabeats

Halloween:
Books: Sweet and Spooky Halloween * Cinderella Skeleton * A Fairy-Tale Fall * Pumpkin Moonshine * BOO! * The Runaway Pumpkin * John Pig's Halloween * Muppet Mash
Movies/TV: Lemonade Mouth * Eloise's Rawther Unusual Halloween * Scared Shrekless * Halloweentown / Halloweentown II

Movies: Fantasia

Books: Grateful * Chester, I Love You

Walt Disney's Birthday:
Books: Inside the Dream: The Personal Story of Walt Disney

Hanukkah:
Music: Candlelight - The Maccabeats

Christmas:
Books: The Perks of Being a Wallflower * The Night Before Christmas *A Ziggy Christmas * Uncle Scrooge: Messes Become Successes * Christmas Is a Time of Giving * A Christmas Sampler * The Cowboy's Christmas * Little Angels' Book of Christmas * The Poky Little Puppy's First Christmas * Can't Wait Till Christmas * The Small Town Children's Christmas * Winter Wishes
Music: Acoustically Christmas - Ricky Fitzpatrick * The Essential Disney Love Song Collection * Christmas - Michael Bublé
Ornaments: 2011 The Enchanted Rose * 2011 Happiness Is... * 2011 Christmastime Is Here! * 2010 TRON Light Cycle * 2011 Hello, Snow!
Kids and Family: Winter White Eeyore * Wireless Peanuts Band - Schroeder * Wireless Peanuts Band - Charlie Brown * Wireless Peanuts Band - Lucy * Wireless Peanuts Band - Snoopy

Carstairs38 (37)

Books: Happy Haunting Amelia Bedelia
Movies: Halloween

Walt Disney's Birthday:
Books: The Animated Man - A Life of Walt Disney

Books: Formula for Murder
Movies/TV: VeggieTales - The Little Drummer Boy * Why Do We Call It Christmas? * The Three Caballeros
Ornaments:
Season's Treatings #1 - 2010 VIP Repaint * Season's Treatings #3 - 2011 Event Repaint * 2011 A Merry Magical Christmas - Frosty the Snowman * 2011 Visit From Santa Event Repaint * Goofy as Jacob Marley 2011 * UP 2011 - Disney/Pixar Legends Series #1 * Jazzy All the Way 2011 * Statler and Waldorf 2008 * Swedish Chef 2009 * Beaker's Ode to Joy 2011 * Teatime in Wonderland 2011 * A Bright Beginning 2011 * Jiminy Cricket 2011 * Where Everybody Knows Your Name 2011 * Dreams Do Come True 2011 * Pongo Saves the Day 2011 * Darth Vader - Lego Star Wars 2011 * Disney Store Flynn and Rapunzel 2010 * Sulley, Mike and Boo 2001  * This Little Light of Mine 2011 * Christmas Cupcake #2: Simply Irresistible 2011  * The Enchanted Rose 2011 * Christmastime is Here! 2011 * Joe to the World 2011
Music: The Heart of Christmas - Matthew West * Christmas!  A Newsboys Holiday * Songs of the Season - The Sing-Off * A Christmas Album - Barbra StreisandNoel - Joan Baez

Ddustyrose
(10)

Thanksgiving:
Home & Garden: Now Designs Turkey Teatowels * Now Designs Garland Teatowels * Pumpkin Bouquet Slate * Better Homes and Gardens Bulb Baster

Home & Garden: Now Designs Jumbo Pure Kitchen Holiday, Jumbo
Kids & Family: Hoola-Hoop * Silly Putty * Slinky * Jack and Ball Game * Rainbow Pop Beads

Elvisdo (4)

Halloween:
Kids & Family: Ty Beanie Baby Hello Kitty Witch * Ty Beanie Baby Hello Kitty Dracula

Christmas:
Movies/TV: What's New Scooby-Doo?  Volume 4 - Merry Scary Holiday * Max & Ruby: A Merry Bunny Christmas

Jackai (7)

Movies/TV: The Snowman * A Christmas Carol (1951) * Christmas With the Simpsons
Music: Time-Life Treasury of Christmas * A Charlie Brown Christmas - Vince Guaraldi Trio * Treasury of Christmas: Evergreen * Ultimate Christmas Cocktails

JanKP (2)

Christmas:
Books: A Christmas Carol Graphic Novel * Hercule Poirot's Christmas: A Holiday Mystery

Jenniferkateab (2)

Movies: Soul Surfer

Rosh Hashana:
Food: Manischewitz Fine Egg Noodles

Kelly60 (30)

Assorted:
Food: Marjack Wint-O-Green Lifesavers * Hershey Miniatures 2 lb. Bag * Plain M&Ms
Home & Garden: Tupperware 6 Cup Capacity Jel-Ring Jello Mold

Kids & Family: Learning Resources Pretend Sandwich Set

Geograpy Awareness Week:
Office Supplies: Rand McNally Deluxe Laminated Wall Map of the World

Mickey Mouse's Birthday:
Kids & Family: Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse Plush 17"

National Bible Week:
Books: Celebrate Express Bible Word Search Puzzle Book

Food: Knorr Roasted Turkey Gravy

Ninja Day:
Kids & Family: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Party Stickers

Monkey Day:
Kids & Family: Schylling Sock Monkey Stuffed Animals

Christmas:
Music: Kids Sing Christmas Songs (Karaoke) * Sing Christmas Wishes (Karaoke) * Chartbuster Karaoke 50-Song Pack: Greatest Christmas Songs * Sing Grinch Christmas (Karaoke)
Pets: Happy Holiday Dog Lead
Food: Office Snax Wrapped Assorted Fruit Snacks * Sathers Gum Drops Candy * Sathers Spice Drops Candy
Office Supplies: Pacon Construction Paper * Pacon Rainbow Bags
Kids and Family: Children's 4 Card Game With Pick Up Sticks
Home and Garden: Good Tidings G.E. String-A-Long Miniature Christmas Lights, Multi-Colored
Shopping: Best Buy Online

Sports & Outdoor: Pittsburgh Steelers Gold Snowflake Ornament
Music: Winterlude - John Darnall

Stephen_Murray (4)

Christmas:
Movies: El Nino * Amahl and the Night Visitors * Holiday Affair * La Buche (The Christmas Log)

Susiewho (1)

Food: Holiday Twist Tic Tacs

Swooshfan2 (41)

Books: Wonder Pets Save the Reindeer
Movies/TV: Backyardigans - Super Secret Super Spy * A Christmas Carol (1938) * Arthur Christmas * The Bishop's Wife * Miracle on 34th St. (1947) * A Christmas Carol (1951) * Scrooged * Christmas in Connecticut (1945)
Music: A Christmas Gift of Love - Barry Manilow * Holiday Collection - Taylor Swift * Christmas Collection: 20th Century Masters - Bing Crosby * Perry Como's Greatest Christmas Songs * Let It Snow - Michael Buble * What a Wonderful World - Leann Rimes * An Old Time Christmas - Randy Travis * The Christmas Collection - Frank Sinatra * Glee: The Music, The Christmas Album * The Essential Now That's What I Call Christmas * Home for Christmas - Hall and Oates * Perry Como Sings Merry Christmas Music * Santa Claus Lane - Hilary Duff * Home for Christmas - Amy Grant * Rejoyce: The Christmas Album - Jessica Simpson * Christmas Wishes From Kenny Rogers * A Lovely Way to Spend Christmas - Kristin Chenoweth * Christmas Portrait - The Carpenters * James Taylor at Christmas * Because It's Christmas - Barry Manilow * A Very She & Him Christmas * A Christmas to Remember - Amy Grant * Joy to the World - Faith Hill * The Spirit of Christmas - Ray Charles * White Christmas - Martina McBride * A Holiday Carole - Carole King * Glee, The Music: The Christmas Album, Volume 2 * In the Swing of Christmas - Barry Manilow * Christmas - Michael Bublé * The Christmas Song - Roger Whittaker * Merry Christmas - Mariah Carey * When My Heart Finds Christmas - Harry Connick Jr.

Member: Erin McCarty
Location: Erie, PA
About Me: Quite a little fellow in a wide world, after all.